Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do you use to design your schematics?

What software do you use to design your schematics?

• Electronics Workbench

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Multisim

• ExpressPCB

• Eagle

• LTspice

• PCB123

• AutoCAD Electrical

• Paint

• SmartDraw

• Proteus

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Express Schem/PCB. I have downloaded various programs, including Eagle and some GNU-licensed program whose name escapes me. Upon trying these, I always ended floundering on using the arcane library tools to create new components or modify existing ones. And I got sticker shock once when I decided to run their cost calculator to build simple, two layer boards in prototype quantities.
I am an electronic technician between jobs. I wanted to take a first-board project from concept to final testing so I could add this capability to my resume. I decided to check out what was available. I tried perusing the ExpressPCB site first. When I found I could make three 3.8" x 2.5" boards (double-sided, plate through holes, with mask and silkscreen) for less than $100 (including 2-day shipping), I decided to use that to do my first board.
The software is rather simple. I wouldn't say underpowered, but rather, unassuming in ability. I've used better, more capable programs to edit and update existing designs at work. Features like automatic 45 degree routing and defing pin definitions (input, output, power, clock, passive, etc) for later DRC checking are missing, for instance. DRC falls almost entirely on the users' shoulders. It found I had put two pads at the same spot, but missed the fact I had placed a capacitor in the design but never connected it to anything. Then again, you can place copper pours and connect pads to them in two ways, then define cut outs where you want to place voids in the pours. And component creation could be a little better implemented by borrowing existing elements from existing components, not all these are clean in usage.

I read the sparse but usable guides and was doing the schematic in a few hours. I then read up on the supporting layout software, imported the schematic and started routing traces in short order. It wasn't all that smooth, but it all fell in place pretty quick. I submitted the design and had finished boards back in my hands in five days (using two day shipping). I had placed two vias that shorted Vcc to Ground. A quick drilling with a handheld drill fixed those, but a proper DRC would have found those readilly. Then I discovered about a dozen pads were undersized, but that falls squarely on my shoulders. So much for getting antsy and failing to do a thorough check.

I eventually got past the errors and designed a second board that complimented the first. This avoided the previous problems ( I checked, and found, some previous goofs) and got this board fabricated, this time for $104 (I got one-day shipping). It largely worked fine, except for a fitting issue, which was fixed by installing a smaller component.
I contacted ExpressPCB later and asked if I could get Gerbers and the drill files for these designs so I could have them made elsewhere at bulk prices. They replied that these files could be had for $60, but that getting files to have paste screens done was something they didn't do, so I'd have to go elsewhere for that. Their prices aren't so terrible, but their board price calculator always starts by charging around $250 for tooling, and I have seen some board houses say they have no tooling charges, so I'd have to think these boards could be had in quantities for much less.

Hope that helped.

Sprint Layout for me, just point and click my own circuit design hit a button for gerber or drill files and what I draw simulates on Kcam perfect everytime. No huge learning curve with eagle just draw in ya circuit and away you go...

Too Easy.......

For me best is EAGLE PRO.I am using it since earlier version but still i am of the opinion that it is not best after all. eagle can not simulate your design and Libraries are not so good. but yet it is good choice for smaller and less complex tasks. Second choice is Proteus.

One or two schematic softwares produce an ugly negative with pastel lines on a black background.

Many school kids post Multisim schematics covered with chicken-pox dots and have lines all over the place. Very messy.

It seems people either love or hate eagle but according to this poll it is by far the most popular choice.

I find it interesting that there is no clear 2nd choice for PCB layout.

It would be nice if Eagle tied into spice but I doubt that is going to happen.

ENO and aljamri. I've used CM in the past and found it to be really quick to learn (I'm a hobbyist, not professional). I also really liked the way they do digital simulation as most of the stuff I do is digital.

Do you know of any other package that's as easy to learn as CM and has a similar style of digital simulation? Maybe I'm missing something but packages I've downloaded seemed overly complex and had a much steeper learning curve than CM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back