Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do you think to this ESR / cap meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly_k

Hey folks want to make an ESR meter been studying various designs and came across this PIC based version...

**broken link removed**

Looks ok but doesn't use a conventional 100khz test signal, but instead pulses the capacitor and uses PIC dac to measure voltage drop and then work out ESR - so is this going to be a problem where accuracy is concerned?

BTW I really like the idea of capacitance measurement on top of ESR as my multimeter and pic based LC meter is limited in upper range to about 15uF!

There is also a similar Russian version below but seems a little over complicated whilst using a similar approach!

Google Translate

Any opinions appreciated!

Here is another one, not pic basedn and strictly ESR, but looks simple to build and supposedly works quite well.

Capacitor ESR Tester

Yes I had seen that, and a few others - but as I have most of the parts for the above, and the desire (more than the need maybe) to measure capacitance in one unit I was specifically interested in one of the digital versions presented above.

I guess I will have to build this and an analogue meter then compare the results.

I am sure there is someone here with an opinion though?

Yes I had seen that, and a few others - but as I have most of the parts for the above, and the desire (more than the need maybe) to measure capacitance in one unit I was specifically interested in one of the digital versions presented above.

I guess I will have to build this and an analogue meter then compare the results.

I am sure there is someone here with an opinion though?

hi olly,
Your posted circuit was shown in the Forums last year, IIRC it was considered to be a 'concept' circuit designed only for a students assignment.:(

Are you referring to the pic based esr meter? I have searched the forums and couldn't find anything related to the this project!

ok well decided to go with the elektor version which you can download for free when you register for the first time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back