Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Do You Think Of This?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll make a metal structure of rings ( think Olymipic rings, but only 3 ) I don't have my graphics program, or else I'm make a picture.

So, if I'm correct you will slip them over each one and bind the rings together.

Are you going to use them at each end and one in the middle ?

If so, then what will it look like in the water will the 2 4" be first or will the single 4" with the 2 4" on top seems you would aquire more surface tension with 2 on the water ?

kv:)

looking at the thumbnail again it looks a bit like a klingon warbird [?] off the stern and closing...

Looks more like a cross between an Imperial shuttle and a Klingon D7 warbird -

**broken link removed**

+

**broken link removed**

=

windsurferkicksassoftrimaran-jpg.30553

I guess I was more right on accident ? Go figure.

Duffy you need to mix this in and turn it upside down.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I think your calculations may be a bit off there.
A pipe with 4" internal diameter and length of 10 feet will have an internal volume of 1507 cubic inches.
1507 cu in is equivalent to 5.43 imperial gallons.
An imperial gallon of water weighs 10pounds.
So your pipe will displace about 54pounds (ignoring the weight/volume of the PVC).

JimB

Right! I was using weight of water in lb/ft^3 in place of gallons. :p I was going the math in my head at the hardware store using memory in place of density tables. I would have double checked all the constants before building.

Thanks.

So, if I'm correct you will slip them over each one and bind the rings together.

Are you going to use them at each end and one in the middle ?

If so, then what will it look like in the water will the 2 4" be first or will the single 4" with the 2 4" on top seems you would aquire more surface tension with 2 on the water ?

Yes, you are correct in all your questions. I'm thinking in the water it will look like an inverted trianle, isosolece of course.

After reading JimB, I'm going to need bigger PVC pipes!

Yes, you are correct in all your questions. I'm thinking in the water it will look like an inverted trianle, isosolece of course.

After reading JimB, I'm going to need bigger PVC pipes!

Starting to get pricey or go another root.

Well, my first thought was to disassemble an old, derelict pontoon boat. But part of my plan, which I have yet to mention, was to fabricate a mounting system that allows me to easily remove the pontoons when I just want to sail in monohull configuration, which would be most of the time. The PVC idea would have been light enough for me to lift.

Well, my first thought was to disassemble an old, derelict pontoon boat. But part of my plan, which I have yet to mention, was to fabricate a mounting system that allows me to easily remove the pontoons when I just want to sail in monohull configuration, which would be most of the time. The PVC idea would have been light enough for me to lift.

So, If weight and displacement are the desire then form a pontoon shape with some in-expensive material and liquid foam it and break the shell and poly urethane the outside ? or something ?

I'm being liberal with the idea confetti.:D

That sounds like an excellent approach, Brownout. Use existing pontoons, concentrate your efforts on the mounting system, make it removeable.

Do you have any 3D modelling software? You can download Sketchup for free. I find making models things on the computer beforehand is a huge help. You always wind up saving the time it took you to make the model and then some.

Last edited:
55 gallon plastic barrels. If you know where to look they are free! I got a 3 pickup loads last fall for hauling them away.

(Plus when I dumped that goo that was in them in the stream the beavers went a way too!) :eek:

Just Kidding!
(I shot the beavers.);):D

The barrels were from a local service center that handles that enviro what ever antifreeze and window washer fluid in bulk containers. These were the left over barrels.:)

Great ideas, guys! I'll look into the software. It would help on many other projects that I have. TMCTECH, we have a barge at the marina for making reparis to the docks that made from 55 gl. plastic drums, filled with expando poly.

So, If weight and displacement are the desire then form a pontoon shape with some in-expensive material and liquid foam it and break the shell and poly urethane the outside ? or something ?

I'm being liberal with the idea confetti.:D

Alot of Cats are acutall made that way. It's a good way to get a "one off" outrigger.

Water World was a great movie, but it wasn't very realistic. If the boat went up on one outrigger ( don't remember that part ) then that was just a HollyWood trick.
Uuh, just a Hollywood trick? Explain why a HobieCat I was on lifted itself on to one rigger. It was both scary and sort of neat at the same time. I guess we didn't have enough balast (beer in a netbag below the waterline). It was only a 6-pack!

a keg would be most advantageous in such a situation, firstly to act as the balast, and secondly to calm your nerves afterwards

I don't understand why that didn't work... Wait - was it light beer?

Oh, yeah, that could be a problem.
"What's that, the bilge pump? ... Oh NOES! TEH BALLAST!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back