Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do you think of an Electronics Wiki site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMaster

Administrator
Hi Guys,

Well, once again my brain and working overtime and I'm thinking about starting an electronics wiki site where anyone can add to it.

Now, I do know that wikipedia.org has a massive section on electronics and wouldnt want to really compete with that but more along the links of circuits. I'm thinking that there are tones of sites with circuits and tones of versions of circuits. Wouldn't it be great to start a massive archive of them having the BEST ones all in the same place.

My vision for the site would be to have the biggest collection of circuits and projects. But not only that the best information to go with them.

Would love to hear your thoughts and maybe if you would like to help. I'm thinking I would do it with a rewards system as well (money..).

Im thinking of using the software:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Let me know what you all think :)

I think this could be a great thing, but I would think the journey to a successful site would be a long and arduous one as the unforeseen obstacles will be many. Not to say that this is a bad idea, rather coming in with eyes wide open with certain expectations will prevent dissappointment.

I think in order to maintain content integrity, the site will grow or flounder based on the community support. In order to maintain a certain degree of quality, the community must maintain a due diligence to maintaining the content and to police improper content as often happens with Wiki based sites such as vandal posters. Edit wars are commonplace, and what often complicates these edit wars is when both editors offer valid points. What I never understood about how Wiki works, who has final say?

With all that said, I would think this is great experiment. Perhaps for initial test phase, limit edit authorization to select respected community members ( Although we respect all members :) ) Just for a short period to work out bugs and such, which after a short debug phase the flood gates are opened. Well that is just my take on it...

Last edited:
Anecdote for would be Wiki posters.
Some very long time ago when Wiki was in its infancy, I found a stub concerning Spur and pinion gears. I decided to fix this. I had a pretty good idea what each gear was, but in order to be more informed, I went to the library and checked a few books. I did my research, wrote what I thought was a nice article and I even went as far as to create some gear animations using my 3D program. I sure was impressed with myself, afterall I was on wiki.

About a month later, my article had been trimmed and shaved so much, it was no longer my article. I was somewhat annoyed, but my cool 3D gear drawings remained. A week after that, my drawing was gone and my text but all changed.

Moral of the story, don't expect to write something and not have it almost completly change. If you do not have a rough skin and are unable to accept this nature of the Wiki beast, then do not post as it will happen. Just remember, it is not personal :)

Last edited:
This is a great idea. But like Mike noted, contributors please beware! People will probably change things over time. I know I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi sometimes so if I come along and correct typos don't be offended. :)

(Yeah, I know I don't have perfect grammar either but in presentation writing I try to keep it clean.)

Torben

You are a busy bee:) I have no idea how this thing starts rolling. Say I have a Flingamazoo, would I just create account, and start my article? This could be enjoyable to contribute to. :)
In Wiki, citations are usually required, is that community controlled?

Flingamazoo on hold...

Last edited:
I created an account, and I was able to enter the editor, but could not figure out how to make a category. Guess I will have to do some reading.

Looks good:)

Ok, thanks. That helps... Sometimes I feel like a 2ma LED :)

Last edited:
Wikitronics.com comes up blank. Is that name taken? John

Edit: OOPs. Sorry about that. I see how the names are linked with a different search. Never mind. John

Last edited:
FYI, I registered an account with the Wiki, received a confirmation link, but when I clicked the link I was sent to page not found...

So we can put some of our schematics on it? That would be pretty cool! I'll call mom....hey, look mom!
For you? Yes, schematics only -- none of that "the sky is falling" nonsense!

Last edited:
Wait a minute here! Why is a circuit by Bill Bowden taking up bandwidth at that Wiki site, when one can easily access that and many more of his circuits directly from his personal site?????:confused: I would think any circuit submissions would be our own homegrown variety... such as AG's improved FM transmitter.

It appears as a direct copy of text and images which might be considered plagiarism or worse copyright violation.
Some circuits like a 555 timers or so common that it would be silly to re-invent the wheel, but with that said. Text should be provided by author and any concepts derived from other sources need citation. Not only is citations polite, they also give credibility to the text. Like in Wiki, links to references are given.

Well this is the learning phase, so we have our first example of what not to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back