Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do you recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Before you all say read the sticky. I have and would like to know what do you all who actually use this stuff in everyday situations have to say. (more up to date than sticky)

I would like to buy a few kits from somewhere. Was actually looking into https://www.blueroomelectronics.com/. Well im looking for something to start off in micro controllers. I want to learn it all. How to use a controller for but not limited to : 7 seg leds, LCDs, Multiplexing and all that( plus more ). Now i wanted to know what Kits do you recommend or sites to purchase. As you all should know its income tax time and i thought i should spend some money on something usefull (educational). I have a budget of about $200 - $300 to spend

Can some one (or some people) help me out here. Thanks.

AtomSoft said:
Can some one (or some people) help me out here. Thanks.
A Blueroom Junebug is a great start. You not only get an excellent industry standard programmer/debugger, but also an 18F1320 tutor board. Start with that and add more later as you learn and outgrow the tutor board. The programmer part is also useful for programming other PICs you use later.

There are lots of Junebug users here (I'm one) who can help you when you get stuck.

Last edited:
Thanks i hear nothing but good things about blueroomelectronics I also was looking at your links in the bottom. Blueroom Unicorn board with LCD and keypad. I am trying to get into the security field and this looks like a great LCD and Keypad start.

i work for a electrician company. I currently also program some security systems (not really program but just enter information into the system) I was wanting to design my own product i might have a sponsor (my boss). He has customers who want basic security for like CCTV areas.

I was woundering would it be wise to buy both Junebug and Unicorn kits? Also thanks for the helping me in advance. I tried looking online to purchase them but only found on ebay and not much tho. Any sites you know where to purchase these from?

Blush thanks guys :)

If you've never used PICs before the Junebug is a good start, and although the Unicorn was originally designed as an Inchworm+ upgrade; since the Junebug came out it's better suited as a LCD/Keypad trainer. The LCD draws a fair amount (> 150ma with the backlight on) of power so it's best to use a USB / AC adapter to power the Unicorn in that mode or a spare USB port on your PC.
**broken link removed**

Thanks. Listen anyone know where i can buy it from now? The links on the site either dont have it or dont have all products on site. I want the Junebug and Unicorn . But Its hard to find. Ebay is always my second choice. Anyone got a first choice?

The GLCD I don't normally carry but I can pick one up and send it off, it's $49 CDn, a 2x16 LCD is $19. (They both have white charaters with blue background as seen on the Mongoose page on my site)

I should have income tax in by next friday. Hows then? I will want
2 - 2x16 LCDs
Junebug Kit
Unicorn Inchworm+ Upgrade & Experimenter

Can you tell me around how much would all that be including shipping? Shipping to Brooklyn, N.Y. 11206 in US

Ill leave the GLCD for another time since it cost to much for me to mess up at the moment lol. The 2x16 LCD sounds good enough to start. If i break it(burn it out) i dont have to worry about $20 to replace it.

Also Price it for ASSEMBLED please i dont want to mess it up before i can use it lol. I rather buy things like this already made.

Last edited:
I purchased some very nice displays from Warren's establishment there in New York called **broken link removed**. I purchased a couple 2x16's, a 2x40, a 128x64 with TouchPad ($24) and am waiting for his new 128x64/TouchPad with RGB backlight product.

**broken link removed**

wow thanks thats some of the best news so far. your in NY? And up this early lol I felt sick so took a shower and now cant sleep :) (but feel better) I will deffinitly go there today(if open) if not tommorow. gonna check store hours now

I'm sorry. I think it's an Internet store. I'm in Michigan and ordered from Warren over the Internet after corresponding with him via a couple emails. He's very responsive and knowledgable so definately send him off an email...

Have fun. Mike

Pin outs on GLCD don't appear to exactly match

Mike / Bill,

The GLCD from CircuitED doesn't appear to have a pin-out that matches the one on the Unicorn. The specs online show it to be an Xiamen Optical with pin 1 and 2 as the column select lines rather than Ground and Vdd.

That doesn't mean it can't be used, just takes a cable that re-arranges the pins.
:eek:

August Treubig said:
Mike / Bill,

The GLCD from CircuitED doesn't appear to have a pin-out that matches the one on the Unicorn. The specs online show it to be an Xiamen Optical with pin 1 and 2 as the column select lines rather than Ground and Vdd.

That doesn't mean it can't be used, just takes a cable that re-arranges the pins.
:eek:

You're right, it's pinned differently then the GLCD (Topwaydisplay) I use.
It's the same display pinout AGM1264F as use in the Semifluid Oscilloscope.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back