Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do you love most about PIC microcontrollers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Wilder

We all have our favorite uC for whatever reason. It also seems that there are more people using PIC microcontrollers over any other uC out there from what I've been reading online (I know I know...consider the source lol). So I figured I'd start this thread for those who love PIC microcontrollers to get an idea as to the different reasons from different people that made them favor the PIC over any other uC.

For me, the PIC not only was an easy place to start, but there seems to be an endless supply of information on them all over the internet from 3rd parties, not to mention the plethora of information available directly from Microchip. Along with all of the support tools like the PICkit 2 & 3, the development boards, etc etc. I do have to say Microchip gives superb support on not only their PICs, but their serial EEPROMs and the plethora of other products they make as well. Their data sheets are also very thorough and well laid out. On top of all this...they're very reasonably priced.

Also, while I started on the PIC16F628A, I've found that the same base instruction set of the 16F628A applies to the entire 16F series! If you want to advance to the 18F series, all you have to learn are the "additional instructions" that apply to the 18F series, while the entire 16F series instruction set can be used in addition to those. Plus the support software is 100% free as well.

I have found though that some of Microchip's documentation is a bit out of date. The latest version PICmicro Mid-Range MCU Reference Manual available from Microchip is one from 1997, and I'm sure there have been a plethora of changes over the last 14 years to the mid-range line of PICs. Matter of fact I know there have because I've read segments of things in certain sections of it thinking to myself "OK...I know that doesn't apply anymore".

Although some "old school" programmers thumb their nose at the RISC architechture thinking that being a RISC processor somehow limits its ability to perform certain tasks, there's honestly nothing I can think of that a PIC cannot do that other uC's can. Sure, it does have a reduced instruction set and it is a bit different from the instruction sets of other uC's. However, they can do everything other uC's can do...but from what I have found you just code them very differently.

Let's hear from others on their reasons why they love the PIC uC so much!

Last edited:
When I first started with micro controllers in the mid nineties, the pics were the only ones readily available.

Mike.

Hi,

Why not, and why ?

I make dataloggers and pic's up to pic18 never really had enough uumph!! to drive SDcards the MEGA168 had enough ram, I use the arduino now (as well as pic ) the MEGA328 is a very good chip for its size..

I still like, and use the pic I have encoders (12f675) display units (18f4620) wirless (16f688).. Theres no doubt they are a good chip.

Ian

I expect a PIC24 would have done the job Ian. It has 16 GP registers and has a 2 clock cycle pipeline (fetch, execute) so it does one instruction per clock period. The prices are about the same as for the 18F family. And a GCC based compiler. The least expensive member is $1.58, if you can live with 4K of Flash.

I like the ability to program and ICD (In Circuit Debug) the entire PIC product line with a single inexpensive debugger.

I like the vast range of processors.

Never got used to GCC, when I found that microchip wanted over a grand for C30 I lost interest... the Arm7 / 9 has my attention now.. Like I said small pic's for normal work but for graphical app's it's netmf all the way for me board = £34 screen = £49 and all the libraries that come with C# (free edition) You can't go wrong. I am using FEZ Panda for most of my development now.

Ian

The panda has caught my eye but is not a good fit for most of my needs.

Not trying to change your mind Ian but others may be interested. I watched a Microchip seminar regarding mplab X. In it the detailed their company compiler strategy. They have (or will have) a free version of each compiler for non commercial use. My guess is that the full versions will go on sale from time to time.

i just got started w/ pics in december, an,ahhhh, what fun?. i still can't believe how many items you are able to eliminate by going "pic".
not to mention the wire that goes along w/ them. Much easier to change things w/o having to resolder... i wish i would of started learning
them earlier.......better late then never.

First off im surprised this topic isnt like 20 pages yet heh

PICs are cool. Easy to use, setup, program, debug and come in almost every package you can think of... (almost i said heh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back