Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier87

Hi guys, need some input before I make my decision.

What do you guys think of this model? A Tektronik TBS1022.

I have been browsing, and for what's worth this one looked pretty decent at about 500 USD equivalent back in my country.

Otherwise, should I settle down for a USB type like this one?

I've never owned one and previously I did my projects using analog types, which were excellent, but alas they're property of my lab.

Cheers.

It looks like a good 'scope but is the bandwidth of 25MHz adequate for your needs? A 25MHz BW will deisplay a reasonably good square-wave or digital signal out to only about 5MHz (about a 14ns rise and fall time minimum).

The USB types are much cheaper, of course, but are not as handy since they must be tied to a computer and don't have knobs for easy adjustment of the scope settings.

A 25MHz BW will deisplay a reasonably good square-wave or digital signal out to only about 5MHz (about a 14ns rise and fall time minimum).

Really? Ahem... if that's the case I'll need to rethink this. Analog scopes were better but I don't see them much anymore for sale though... in my country. Thanks Crutschow.

Really? Ahem... if that's the case I'll need to rethink this. Analog scopes were better but I don't see them much anymore for sale though... in my country.
How well the 'scope displays square-waves depends upon its bandwidth. It has nothing to do with whether the 'scope is analog or digital.

I see. Well currently I'm onto another one, 100MHz (HP 1740A), a used model so it would be much cheaper. I'll update here if it turns out fine.

Thanks for the info.

The HP1740A is a fine oscilloscope, but beware of any faults...

...there are several bits inside which are made from unobtainium, some very special custom integrated circuits.

JimB

The HP1740A is a fine oscilloscope, but beware of any faults...

...there are several bits inside which are made from unobtainium, some very special custom integrated circuits.

JimB

I see. Great, then I have a leverage on asking for a lower price since it may be more difficult to troubleshoot any Murphys. :D

Anyway, I heard the owner saying "it might need calibration and a special personnel may need to look at it". I wonder if that is so, I'd like some more pointers from you guys on this aspect.

Cheers.

Somebody here recently bought a HP 1740. It had a faulty voltage multiplier I think, and this is a relatively mickey mouse repair.
Good luck in your search. if you find something with a fault, then ask for advice here.

Knowing what you want is the tricky part, us engineers like to have stuff a little ott.

I have 3, a 150mc philips, a 60mc usb and a cheapo educational 10mc dual trace effort.

The cheapo gets used nearly all the time, the usb sometimes and the fancy one hardly ever.

All depends what you want to do.

I'm with dr pepper.

The bandwidth largely dictates the price. I use my little $80 (USD), 2MHz DSO way more than my others. I have never even considered a USB scope.

The Rigol Digital scopes are pretty well-reviewed and quite reasonably priced. You can find the 100MHZ model new for $400.00

Knowing what you want is the tricky part, us engineers like to have stuff a little ott.

I have 3, a 150mc philips, a 60mc usb and a cheapo educational 10mc dual trace effort.

The cheapo gets used nearly all the time, the usb sometimes and the fancy one hardly ever.

All depends what you want to do.

That makes perfect sense. My constraints were on both bandwidth and cost, however. I'll take a leaf outta your book, doc. But perhaps in a few years time. I plan to set up a proto company, and having a few would be nice. :)

By the way, how much is your cheapo? In my place, "cheapos" come at least 500 USD. Unless you get used ones.

Last edited:
I'm with dr pepper.

The bandwidth largely dictates the price. I use my little $80 (USD), 2MHz DSO way more than my others. I have never even considered a USB scope.

That being said, I'm trying to write my own code in VB on my own stereo jack 'scope. It has 20kHz bandwidth, and perhaps will be useful for really basic stuff I'm into.

I bought a 150mc 'scope for 150 quid, when I went to collect it the 10mc cheapo was in the skip, I got it for 10 quid and fixed the power switch.

You dont have to spend a fortune to get what you need.

Aha I just got my HP 1740 from an old man for an equivalent of USD200. Hope it'll last for a lot of good years if not more.

Attachments

• WP_20140426_003.jpg
    WP_20140426_003.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 152
Good stuff, I hope it works well for you.
I had one at work 30years ago* it was a very nice scope to use.

JimB

*(where the hell does time go when you are enjoying yourself?)

*(where the hell does time go when you are enjoying yourself?)

Haha. I'm now nearly 30 and on a job. With this *new* equipment, I think setting up a small R&D company will be nice and might allow more time for myself. The problem is I haven't quite settled on a trade, while my electronics skills are still running freely without an anchor yet. :)

I had one similar, I had it years without any trouble.

I think I swopped it for something, which didnt last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back