Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what do you call this device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3Riks

for example i have an 8 I/O ports microcontroller and i have to monitor 4 ICs with each having 8 I/O ports. how do i switch from the 4 ICs?

it's called multiplexer but in order to make it work you will need at least two more I/O on your microcontroller.

but a multiplexer only has one output port. what i need is something that has at least 8 output ports and multiple input ports.

you see if i use a multiplexer i still need to switch so many times just to cover all the pins of the ICs. what i want to do in my program is read the port of the MCU just ones, for example if P0 is = 0100 1001 do this " " ....if i use a multiplexer i need to read the I/O port of the MCU one at a time and at the same time controlling the selector pin of the multiplexer.

What ICs are exatly the "4 ICs" ?

Many ICs have enable and circuit select pins that are meant exatly for this purpose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back