Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do these transistors do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Without making me feel like a total idiot can someone please explain to me what the function of these transistors are?

I'm working on a PIR circuit with a counter. I want to tie the output of the PIR to the input of the counter, the connection diagrams on both the datasheets call for a transistor on each (or when used together just one transistor I imagine?) but I need help understanding what the transistor is doing?

PS, I never could thoroughly wrap my brain around transistor theory in tech school.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
The output of your PIR is an open collector transistor. Basically it acts as a switch that applies a ground to a load and completes a circuit.

Lets see if I can explain a little better. Refer to attached diagram. When the PIR is not detecting an object, transistor Q1 is turned off. The input to the counter is pulled to the +V2 through R7. When PIR detects an object, Q1 turns on acts like a switch so now bottom side of R7 is brought close to ground. What this does is create a pulse to the counter. The counter detects the pulse edge and increments. Does that make sense?

Attachments

• xswitch.gif
    xswitch.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 162
A very short transistor tutorial--

Transistors are three-terminal amplifiers, that is, they take a small input signal and make it larger (when properly biased). The output and input terminals share a common terminal (The emitter for a bipolar and the source for a FET)

Both bipolar and FET (MOSFETs are most common) transistors have a high output impedance in their active "on" region (when being used as an signal amplifier and not a switch) which makes them act rather like constant current devices. That is the current through them is relatively independent of their collector or drain voltage.

A bipolar transistor amplifies the current that goes into the base-emitter junction so that the collector-emitter current is many times the base current (as determined by the transistor Beta or Hfe gain value). A bipolar transistor has a relatively low input impedance, since the base-emitter junction looks like a diode, and you must limit the base current with a resistor to avoid damaging the device.

A FET transistor amplifies the voltage between the gate and source terminals into a current from the drain to source (as determined by the transistor gate threshold voltage and the transconductance). A MOSFET input looks like a capacitor and thus has a very high input impedance.

If a bipolar transistor has a large base current applied (typically 1/10 of the collector current) or a MOSFET transistor has a large gate-source voltage applied (typically 10V), then the transistor will act as a switch with a low on-resistance.

Does that help your brain to do a little more wrapping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back