Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do these transistor color bar markings mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre1

Hi
I visited my local Dick Smiths store today to buy a few transistors, when I noticed that they were getting rid of PN4258 transistors for 1 cent each. I didn't know what their specs were, but I figured that at 1 cent I couldn't go wrong - so I bought the whole stock, all 70 of them.

About half of the transistors have three color bars marked on their rounded surfaces of the TO92 package - red, silver, blue or white, brown , blue, or etc, etc.

I have never seen this before on any transistor, and the Fairchild data sheet does not mention it. What does it mean, please?

Thanks,
Andre

Could be a proprietary method a company used to come up with matching transistors?

I suspect you are right about the gain groupings. Anyway, my needs are simple and gain is not important - I am using them to drive multiplexed 7-segment displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back