Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do I connect wrist strap to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I have no knowledge of mains power distribution in India you may want to give this a read. What exactly do you mean by "leakage" and why do you suspect it?

Ron

I can't believe something so easy got to be so complicated.

1) The wrist strap has a high value resistor in it, like 1 Megohms or better.
2) The ground point of the object being serviced.

So, if it's a PC, it's the metal Case. If it's laptop then ground of the Laptop.

Yeah, but the last post seemed to focus on....? You figure it out? :) I have no clue what he was getting at but if you want to test ground as to being ground then ground it is. I also have no clue as to mains power distribution in residential India. :)

Ron

I also have no clue as to mains power distribution in residential India.

From personal first hand experience, it is dire! :(:(

JimB

What exactly do you mean by "leakage" and why do you suspect it?

By leakage you can say like it is not proper some current keep leaking out through earth terminal like if i touch my PC USB metal bare foot, I feel little shock. But I remember we made ground by inserting a wire in the the 25 feet bore (11 years back). That time that area was wet, now as water level keeps on decreasing it might have become dry.

I can't believe something so easy got to be so complicated.

Yes, I agree it is not so complicated. I got all ideas being discussed in this thread. As I'm using ESD wrist strap protection for handling components on my electronic workbench. But thing is my earth itself is not good to go. There is more probability in damaging my component rather then saving it.

From personal first hand experience, it is dire! :(:(

haha, Yes it is.... :)

Last edited:
Well as long as your not dragging your feet on a wool rug under you and the air isn't horribly dry and their are no sparks from your fingers, you should be fine.

Ground isn't as important here as being one with the chassis that your working on. Ground helps though.

By leakage you can say like it is not proper some current keep leaking out through earth terminal like if i touch my PC USB metal bare foot, I feel little shock. But I remember we made ground by inserting a wire in the the 25 feet bore (11 years back). That time that area was wet, now as water level keeps on decreasing it might have become dry.

Time to pound another ground rod into mother earth would be my guess. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back