Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What components to have in personal stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njall_L

Hey everyone

I'm purchasing personal stock of mostly used components to have on hand when working on projects. I have created a list of everything I plan to buy except for resistors and capacitors since I'm unsure what sizes it would be wise to have on hand, therefore I ask:
- What resistor sizes would you always have on hand?
- What capacitor sizes (both ceramic and electrolytic) would you have on hand?

I mostly do digital electronics, Arduino and that sort of stuff.

Also, if anyone has part numbers on DigiKey for relatively cheap 3mm and 5mm LED that would be appreciated. I'm also looking for part numbers on headers (male) to mate with the headers on Arduino. Any help is appreciated, best regards.

Hey everyone

I'm purchasing personal stock of mostly used components to have on hand when working on projects. I have created a list of everything I plan to buy except for resistors and capacitors since I'm unsure what sizes it would be wise to have on hand, therefore I ask:
- What resistor sizes would you always have on hand?
- What capacitor sizes (both ceramic and electrolytic) would you have on hand?

I mostly do digital electronics, Arduino and that sort of stuff.

Also, if anyone has part numbers on DigiKey for relatively cheap 3mm and 5mm LED that would be appreciated. I'm also looking for part numbers on headers (male) to mate with the headers on Arduino. Any help is appreciated, best regards.

The cheapest place to buy LEDs is Taydaelectronics.com. They are charging $0.01 to $0.03 each in a range of colors, lens color and diameter.

Typical resistor and capacitor sizes depend on how many you want to stock and how your mind works. I like to have the E6 series available. Some people want the E12.

The E6 series is: 1.0, 1.5, 2.2, 3.3, 4.7 & 6.8

For Resistors:
Multiply by 10 for the next decade,
And the next decade,
And the next decade, (and so on) up to 6.8M
Multiplier...
1 - (1 watt sizes)
10 - (1/2 watt sizes)
100 - (all others at 1/4 watt)

This means 42 boxes or bags and people then buy 10M just for completeness. 43 boxes.

Capacitors
0.1uF ceramic (many)
33 pF ceramic for (oscillators if you get into that - not likely if just using arduino boards))
Then some (100uF, 10 uF and 1uF should be plenty for digital electronics). You'll need many smaller (pF sizes if you want to do RF oscillators).

I get "resistor kits" where there are 10 or 100 of every common value. I think I got them from Digikey.com
Capacitors are harder but I do have some kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back