Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What component can cap passthrough voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenw232

If I had a current of say 100,000 volts at a low current (5mA) and I wanted to drop the voltage to 20,000 volts at the same current how could I do that? Will a voltage regulator do this? Are there SIDAC's at these high voltages?

Thanks.

The 100,000 V can be lowered to 20,000 V by using two resistors in a voltage divider circuit (in series).

Example :

(+)100,000------------------------/\/\/\/\/------------------A-----------------/\/\/\/\/----------------------(-)

For the current to flow above to be 5mA; 100,000 divided by 0.005A = 20MΩ
The sum of resistance-left plus resistance-right is to be 20MΩ

For the point A to be 20,000V, that would be the voltage across resistor right.
The resistance-right value is then 20,000 divided by 0.005 A = 4MΩ

The resistance-left value is then 80,000 divided by 0.005 A = 16MΩ

All calculations use Ohm's law.
So, the voltage at point A is now only 20,000 from a source of 100,000 V

-If that is what you asked-

Don't think there is any regulator or component that can operate at those high voltages. You would need to use resistors as Externet posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back