Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what component am I looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokedmaro

I guess I dont really know what component I need (the name) but can someone suggest a component to rapidly switch up to 40 amps that can be pic controlled? Something like a transister? I will do the reading about how it works if you could just help put a name on it. Thanks!!:)

DC or AC? What voltage and how often are you switching it on and off.

A MOSFET transistor can do it, if it is DC and needs to be switched often or at high frequency among other things. For switching at high frequency some gate driver circuitry between the PIC and MOSFET might be needed to force the MOSFET on fast enough. An NMOS would probably be better in most cases over a PMOS.

Last edited:
definatly dc switch at 2-20 times a second...will I need anything other than the MOSFET? any examples out there? THANKS

2-20 times a second is VERY slow. I can tap my fingers that fast. Why anything other than a mosfet that makes no sense as they're basic functionality makes them ideal for the purpose. A darlington array might work but with more losses than a well chosen FET. You still haven't mentioned AC or DC. Makes a HUGE difference.

He mentioned DC in his reply. 2-20Hz is so slow you need no extra gate drive circuitry for a MOSFET (not for boosting the switching speed anyways- if you choose a realy strange setup you would need a little bit extra gate drive circuitry to provide the required voltage levels to the MOSFET gate).

THe simplest way would be to use a N-channel MOSFET with a logic level gate voltage connected so that controls whether or not the load is connected to ground. N-channel because then the MOSFET can be switched most easily relative. Logic level so that the PIC voltage between pin and ground is enough to switch it, and N-channel so the MOSFET's source terminal (which the gate turn on voltage is referenced to) can be made to be the same as the PIC.

Last edited:
a component to rapidly switch up to 40 amps that can be pic controlled?
if you could just help put a name on it.

If it is ungrounded at both ends it is called a "high side switch."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back