Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What chip is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleVisionTSi

My Physics teacher bought some ICs at a garage sale for use in his electronics cirriculum. Problem is, we don't know what they are (do). there are three of them. As far as I can tell, though looking up the part numbers, they are made by Harris Semiconductor, who is defunct (I guess, their website sure doesn't work). So here are the numbers from the top ofthe chips

CD4011BE
H9527

Pins : 14

CD4028BE
H9531

Pins : 16

CD4029BE
H9618

Thanks in advance, looking forward to knowing what these things are.

If you type the part number into google it will almost always come up with the data sheet. The first line is the part number the second is the date code.

I found "some" info on them, being I am only a student, would youmind explaining the concepts of these parts?

CD4011BE
H9527

Pins : 14

CMOS QUAD 2-INPUT NAND GATE

CD4028BE
H9531

CMOS BCD-TO-DECIMAL DECODER

CD4029BE
H9618

CMOS PRESETTABLE UP/DOWN COUNTER

In a sense, what is CMOS (I know CMOS as it is related to PCs (I am preparing for A+ certification), What do each of these chips do (in a nutshell)?

Thanks for your reply, bmcculla

CMOS stands for "Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor" in other words, N and P type MOS transistors. These are connected to allow logic operations such as AND, OR, NOT, etc. If you don't know what BCD (binary coded decimal) is, do a google search and find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back