Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What can i do with this

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkJoy

Hi i have take off one transformer from an APC UPS, and now i don't know what to do with it. :)
Can someone tell me if i can use this transformer for something useful like audio amp or etc. How powerful is it? Ideas?

Attachments

• SP_A0063.jpg
    SP_A0063.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 165
  • SP_A0064.jpg
    SP_A0064.jpg
    903.1 KB · Views: 180
  • SP_A0065.jpg
    SP_A0065.jpg
    809.8 KB · Views: 162
What was the power (VA) rating of the UPS, and what was the voltage of the battery they used?

If APC is an Armoured Personnel Carrier you might as well forget about the tranformer. They work on 400Hz.

Could you post the weight of this transformer to confirm that it's the main unit? (Or, a photo against a ruler/scale.)

If this is the only power transformer, it should be able to transfer 600VA intermittently and 200VA continuous. It would probably have (insert your mains voltage here) to 12VCT, plus other windings that will produce about (insert your mains voltage here) from the battery.

I really hate it when I have to guess where a person is.

It weights ~4 Kg and it's dimensions are ~10cmx10cmx10cm...

I'm newbie in electronics, but if i have any project in what i could use this unit i would give it to my friend who is better in electronics, Thanx

Mainly i'm interested in making sub-woofer AMP... or maybe 2x stereo amp.....

Or should i search for another transformer??

The mass and size confirms that this is the main transformer. We believe that it's good for 200+ VA continuous, however your friend should check what voltages it actually produces. Typical voltages in this applications aren't optimum for audio amplifier systems. This transformer is targeted for 12V (14.4V to charge the battery) on the secondary, while audio systems are expected to be 4-8 ohms. (200 watts into 8 ohms normally would use +/- 40 volts DC.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back