Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What attaches to a pin header?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

Okay, this is a question that's been bugging me for a while.

I'm looking for the name of these rectangular-type connectors in the picture. The insides have little metallic retainers that you solder the wire to. I need to order them in 1, 2, and 4-position varieties at 0.1" (0.254mm) pitch. I just can't find the correct sub-category in Digikey, Mouser, etc.

Would this be considered something like a "pin header receptacle" or a "female pin header?"

Attachments

• Rect_connectors.png
    Rect_connectors.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 320
I believe these are what you're looking for -> kk header

You have to crimp them yourself so make sure you get the tool and inserts with them.

FWIW (probably not a lot, really) I agree with LTX71CM. I've used those things a bunch, but never knew what they were called. They just had them in little baggies at the local electronics shop and I figured they looked about right for what I needed.

I don't have the crimping tool for them, so I improvised. My advice is to get the crimping tool. :)

Good luck,

Torben

Here's a procedure with affordable tools that works for me:

Reliable Header Connectors

These are similar to the picture you showed and functionally the same. I've found these must be crimped as soldering will make the contact not fit in the housing. The article lists part numbers for many sizes.

Jon

Nice writeup John.

Futurlec sells the shells and headers at a very reasonable price. Allow for slow delivery.

Crimping is a bit of an art. Darn hard until you get it down. I splurged and purchased a low end (about $50) ratcheting crimper. They crimp both the strain relief and the wire at the same time. When you get it down they do a nice job.

The look something like this unit which is for larger gauge wire.

ab242299-6ed4-4311-b38b-e5fafaf31939_300.jpg**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Here's the link to futurlec:
Headers

I usually just buy the 20 pin version and cut it to the size I need.

Definitely slow shipping, and prone to mistakes. I once placed an order for $80 worth of parts. One of them was the crimper for these terminals, which was out of stock. Took them a week to notify me that it was out of stock. So I ordered the next model up instead.
Then after 10 days of shipping, turns out they only sent the crimper. After another 5 days of email tag, and another $15 for shipping, (the order was too heavy for the standard shipping) they finally shipped the rest of the stuff.

Given that the people at Futurlec are not rocket scientists you might ask why we bother using them. On some parts like these connectors they are so inexpensive that it is worth the trouble. In the end I have gotten everything I ordered. But it can take time and some email when things go wrong. Still well worth the effort if you order at their 20 50 or 100 unit price.

Some parts might be found for the same aprox price at Mouser, not sure about Newark or Digikey. You have to do the legwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back