Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what are the advantages of pic over 89c51?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i see meny people using pic rather than 89c51.

what are the advantages of avr over 89c51 ?

out of the three which is the best?:confused:

simrantogether said:
i see meny people using pic rather than 89c51.

what are the advantages of avr over 89c51 ?

out of the three which is the best?:confused:

'Best' is a purely relative term, so none of them is 'best' for everything.

The PIC is the most popular one, and has by far the best support available all over the Internet - to the extent that many people now use 'PIC' to refer to any micro-controller (just like people call a vacuum cleaner a 'Hoover').

But the 'best' is the one that does the job, any of the three should be perfectly satisfactory for most applications - either one might have a slight edge for some apps?, but none is universally 'better'. The PIC, being a RISC processor, is probably the easiest to learn? - but if you've already got experience on another processor I don't see much point in changing?.

i second to nigel ..but need to say that the popularity of pic is due to the risc architechture , which is easy to learn . and can do most of the task. the 8951 series are cisc , and have more instructions(features?) and also cheaper.

It really does not matter if you have to ask that question.

The best is those chips that are available and selling cheap in shops in your local area. No point paying expensive shipping fee to get them from oversea.

There is usually a hugh price difference between different uC families depending on where you live.

this is a reply to akg
i think when u r using a embedded C-compiler i think it doesn't matter whether it is RISC or CISC rite?
why do ppl even at research labs are loyal to either 8051s or 8951s... or PIC? bcos ppl at labs can get any muc they want so cost or shipment is not a constarint!

For research labs people there should be no concern for money , as their job is research . but for a hobbyist economics does matter .(s)he will have to consider all about the features,learning curve, need and price before deciding which micro to choose.

Last edited:
Waste of time

Hola akg,

After long time I've realized that spending more than one (eventually two) days in doubt of what IC or micro to buy where the diffrence between two of them is just few dollars is a ridiculous waste of time because your time is worth much more than that.

Let me tell you that I know, what is to be unable to afford buying even a single IC but once your income allows to pay around 20 USD for all the ICs of a project, the most important thing is the time you spend hesitating and thinking again and again of what to buy.I am, by no means rich and have to work very hard to subsist.

You could tell me that there are countries where people can live long time with those 20 USD. Agreed, but in other cases my comment is valid..

99% of the hobbyist projects never will see the light as commercial products. So, what's the problem with paying few dollars more (some times, not always, I know!) worth one lunch.

Playing the enngineer on this subject looks OK but pointless. Sorry to say.

Last edited:
In the time spent hesitating over the decision you could probably do both and tell us which one you like better and why. That would be a meaningful contribution.

Here's mine:
I use the Atmel AT89C51CC01, an 80C51 variant, because it has an onboard CAN Controller. I also use it because it has 32K of flash memory for code space. Some of our products use about 3/4 ths of that. Others use considerably less.

I also went to Atmel after Siemens(Infineon) renegged on the purchase of 1000 pieces of the C505CA with a 26 week lead time. At the end of the 26 weeks we said "where are our parts" and they said "go away, don't bother us, don't even call us, go sodomize yourself with a collapsible baton". I'll never patronize those guys again. Atmel on the other hand has been a helpful, reliable, and consistent supplier.

I can say the same about microchip, and their stock is a much better perfomer.

I like MPLAB and ICD2. That is why I like PIC.

As mentioned before, PIC has a great support.

Sometimes, people have to consider other side things, not just the hardware features of that particular uC.

I never tried any other brand of uC.

Isn't Basic Stamp ridiculously expensive?

can someone get back to the point?

i can only find sone yada yada yada, can someone in sweet words specify what is the difference between 8051/89c51 etc and AVR?
why did atmel take the trouble of develouping this technology when the 89c51 was so suceesfull?
is AVR RISC or CISC? what is ATiny and ATmega?

i can only find sone yada yada yada, can someone in sweet words specify what is the difference between 8051/89c51 etc and AVR?
why did atmel take the trouble of develouping this technology when the 89c51 was so suceesfull?

Atmel developed the AVR to try and compete with MicroChip's PIC, even down to copying a three letter name.

If you check the posts on this forums you will find 8051/8951 questions are almost exclusively from 'third world' countries, the rest of the world moved on years back.

Last edited:
I thought id join in the discussion. PICs like everyone says is by far more documented and widely available. They have tons of features as most other uCs and they are cheap. I always felt like moving to AVR but havent made the change. I feel i have to test it out at least because i wont know what i like best if i havent tried nothing else. So if i was you save some money and try them both and figure out which do you prefer.

As for support you will always find a forum with people to help out. Even here i see alot of people using AVR (ATMEL) now. I feel like heh if i learn Atmel stuff ill be more than happy to make some tutorials for new users out there. Im sure there isnt too much of a difference between the many systems. Think about it. A LCD is what? Well.. a LCD is just that a LCD :D so its not like its made only for PIC micros. Its for many micros to control. So i assume controlling it would be very similar in different devices because it can only be setup 1 way and thats the device way.

If i want to blink a LED i have to turn on and off with some delays before and after... How different can that be for Atmel & PIC?

Well what im getting at is well.. try them both .. find your likes and dislikes on how they operate and pick.

HAVE FUN!

Atmel developed the AVR to try and compete with MicroChip's PIC, even down to copying a three letter name.

If you check the posts on this forums you will find 8051/8951 questions are almost exclusively from 'third world' countries, the rest of the world moved on years back.

yea, that's probably because they don't teach AVRs in our colleges, heck half of my lecturers i'm sure won't even know about it, not to mention the availablity of the ICs, programer kits etc, and nigel, as much as i appriciate your comments, you're not helping us out here either!:(

and i thought someone in the thread said, i's better to stick to the processsors you know well.
are you trying to say we will be better off with AVRs rather that MCS-51s?
then please, please tell us why, and tell us a bit about AVRs.
and i'll be honest, AVRs seem 'cool'!!! at least they'll set me apart from the croud:D

Although Atmel sell 8051's with USB, CAN, SPI, PWM, ADC, Smart Card support
etc.

One disadvantage with Atmel 8051's is they source hardly no current, like
the original.

The original thread is two years old, and the original question was advantages NOT differences. I gave the advantages, and last I looked we weren't a 3rd world country -- yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back