Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are special ICD devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MathGeek

I found this on Microchip ICD2 User Guide:

"4.6 Special ICD Devices"

"Some devices have special ICD versions (e.g., PIC12f629-ICD for the PIC12F629) to limit the number of device resources that must be used for debugging. Only the ICD version of the device may be used for debugging; the actual device does nto have the built-in circuitry necessary to work with MPLAB ICD 2."

I don't understand this.....I bought two 16F628A, but is this saying that I need to buy some special version of 16F628A to debug?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-ICD Devices have a special package, that has PGD, PGC, MCLR (besides RB7,6 and RA5), so that you don't have to sacrify any Pins in your design. ICD devices are made for Debugging only and are not appropriate for running without ICD2.

Can you imagine that you could only use 3pins of 12F675 in your design? (If you need to Debug) :lol:

MathGeek said:
is this saying that I need to buy some special version of 16F628A to debug?

Unfortunately, yes.

I found out the hard way. For 3 days I thought my ICD2 was faulty. Turns out, the 16F628 can't be debugged, not without the ICD device.

The 16F88, which is a nicer 18-pin low cost PIC has built in debugging functionnality. That's what I'd use for a low pin count PIC. Otherwise I am happy with 16F876s & 877s. Both can be debugged with the ICD2.

Joel Rainville said:
MathGeek said:
is this saying that I need to buy some special version of 16F628A to debug?

Unfortunately, yes.

I found out the hard way. For 3 days I thought my ICD2 was faulty. Turns out, the 16F628 can't be debugged, not without the ICD device.

The 16F88, which is a nicer 18-pin low cost PIC has built in debugging functionnality. That's what I'd use for a low pin count PIC. Otherwise I am happy with 16F876s & 877s. Both can be debugged with the ICD2.

Wait.........I know 16F628 non-A is NOT supported by ICD2 debugger.

But 16F628A is one of the supported devices....

What I am asking is if I have to buy something like "16F628A-ICD" (if that exists)

Edit: I figured it out: I need to buy a header. I don't have money :(

Sorry for the confusion.

I tend to assume that everyone is refering to the A version since the non-A isn't available from Microchip anymore.

But of course, some stores/distributors might still offer some old stock of non-A versions...

Before buying PICs with your hard earned money, you should definitely get a few samples from Microchip to see if the model number you are thinking of using fits the bill.

The following document lists the PICs that need the header to be debugged : https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2005/08/51292J.pdf

16F628 is supported by ICD2, but only in Program mode
16F628A is supported in Debugging mode, but requiring the -ICD device

I don't think Microchip gives out samples to residential address (I am a hobbist, not an engineer).

I wish I could get some samples for 16F877....

anyone know how?

MathGeek said:
I don't think Microchip gives out samples to residential address (I am a hobbist, not an engineer).

I wish I could get some samples for 16F877....

anyone know how?
I didn't have a problem with Samples. Just fill-in your address and it should work...

Joel Rainville said:
Hobbyist or not, if you are able to build a circuit and program a PIC, you are an engineer. 8)

Crap, so me getting onto a MEng Cybernetics to get the Engineering Masters was use less. Just needed to program a pic! lol j/k

What is the limit on the number of samples?

I purchased 2 16F628 and 2 16F628A. I guess i could have gotten them through sampling.

Anyone know the precise URL for the sample webpage?

edit:
this is what they say on their website
Online Samples
Please note that the online sample site no longer accepts orders from generic ISP accounts such as Yahoo and Hotmail. If you have previously registered with a generic email address, you may login and change your email address to a valid business or university account by choosing the change email address option.

Reminder: Please be sure to provide a postal address for your orders. Street deliveries cannot be made.

Need an analog part not available online? Contact your local sales office for more options .

URL: http://sample.microchip.com/Default.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back