Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Are Some Examples of a Brushed Motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

I'm in the market for a motor controller for a 24VDC wheelchair motor, and I keep running across controllers that are for Brushed motors, and I'm wondering if a wheelchair motor is considered a brushed motor or not?

What is the part number and manufacturer of your motor?

I'm in the market for a motor controller for a 24VDC wheelchair motor, and I keep running across controllers that are for Brushed motors, and I'm wondering if a wheelchair motor is considered a brushed motor or not?

I would imagine most are simple brushed motors, as they are cheaper and easier to control.

2-wires = brushed
3-wires = brushless

(Assuming no extra wires for sensors or things like that)

Last edited:
2-wires = brushed
3-wires = brushless

(Assuming no extra wires for sensors or things like that)

What about 4 wires? Wheelchair motors have either 2 white small wires or 2 black small wires that control a internal brake attached to the motor. This brake device can be detached from the motor, and you'll be left with the regular power connections that control the motor (1 thick black wire (neg) and 1 thick red wire (pos)).

So if you take out the brake, you are left with 2 wires, so is it safe to say the motor is indeed a brushed motor?

I'd say it's brushed, nothing like that is going to have an internal controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back