Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What appliance class has a plastic enclosure and an earth connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave#2

Hello,

I want to make a device with a plastic enclosure and an earth connection.

The device needs an earth connection because it will switch mains power to loads that have an earth, for example a metal-cased fan and a pneumatic valve.

My question is, what device class is it?

According to the wiki for double-insulated (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_insulated) this would be a class 0 device, but these 'will eventually disappear... in favour of Class II devices'.

I could make it a class I device, with a metal chassis and earth connection, but I want to avoid this because it is heavier to ship and the enclosure is more expensive.

I can't make a class II device, because these aren't allowed to have an earth connection. (Why is it that a class II device *must not* have an earth connection? What is the danger?)

I see many devices around (such as common powerboards and light timers) that have
a) plastic enclosure
b) earth connection
but they are not labelled as class II/double insulated, and they can't be be class 0 because the world would end if powerboards were phased out. What class are these?

Thanks,
David

As someone who does PAT (Portable Appliance Test) testing, there are two classes:

Class I - with an earth lead.

Class II - with no earth lead.

Any portable appliance can be tested as either of these, note that the tests are completely different to each other!.

As for a Class II device that "must not have an earth lead", it's basically quite simple, if it DID, it's then Class I and not Class II.

Doesn't matter if your device has a plastic case, many Class I items do, but any exposed metal MUST be earthed, and able to withstand a 25A test current between the earth pin of the plug and the exposed metal.

Thanks Nigel it seems I am making a class I appliance. I have heard that unearthed, exposed metal parts are ok if they have two layers of insulation protecting them from the live bits.

Dave#2 said:
Thanks Nigel it seems I am making a class I appliance. I have heard that unearthed, exposed metal parts are ok if they have two layers of insulation protecting them from the live bits.

For a class II (2 core lead) device you would test the insulation from the mains lead (with live and neutral joined together) to any exposed metal, with 3000V.

If it's a class I (3 core lead) device, then ALL exposed metal must be earthed, and able to withstand the 25A test current.

agree with Nigel that it mush be earthed or it will be dangerous to use it
----------------
**broken link removed**

So, class I devices aren't required to have exposed metal. But if any exposed metal is present, it must pass the tests?

I have a (UK) 4 way adapter with exposed screws and they are not earthed. So there must be some clarification as to what "exposed metal" is.

Mike.

Hi,
I'm doing a project where i require 48v to 5v DC converter ckt (min components or a single IC) could any one help me out.fast

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back