Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What (4 or 5) micros to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I realized I would like to catch up with the new peripherals in 18F micros so I intend to buy 4 or 5 to get reasonably familiar with most of what came after the original 18F part of the family (bought my last about 6 years ago).

Been perusing the lists in MCHP site but found overwhelming the variety and hard to narrow a selection (!!!)

Found Q10 / Q40/Q41 / Q43 / 18J and 18K. PDIP /SOIC packing is what I would like to keep buying for this test.

Concrete suggestions appreciated, even those that I should skip for any reason.

Look at ones that have peripheral pin select. That's one of the big features in the newer ranges - it allows you to allocate pins to internal peripherals rather than them being fixed and often conflicting in smaller pin count devices.

Have a look at the PIC18F14/15/16Q for 20 pin, 25/26/27Q for 28 pin DIP and 45/46/47Q for 40 pin

The only difference in the last digit is memory size.

If you are looking at things that need more memory, like graphics LCD control, also look at the DSPIC33EP512GP (or MC) 502 etc.
60 - 70 MHz instruction clock, 768K flash, 48K RAM etc.

My current 18F of choice is the 18F27K42, DIP28, oodles of memory, and many of the newer peripherals (such as the SMT timer which I use). Of course it also includes PPS - but plan ahead, PPS doesn't allow all peripherals on all ports - usually only on two of the three ports (been there, messed that up! :D ).

It's good they started adding the 16F upgrades to the 18F series.

Look at the peripherals you might use in the future and get chips that support them. I find one chip will normally have enough peripherals to keep me busy for months. Pic one and learn it completely and you'll be able to use most (probably all) in the future.

Mike.

Don't know why , but my PIC 'travels' started with PIC16F84 (1990's ) skipped all the PIC18 at the time and landed in PIC24 territory, it seemed to me C was better suited to 16bit micros. but recently found PIC18 suited some projects better. PIC18F25K22 good for I2C projects as peripheral to a 16bit host. (LCD backpack , matrix 4x4 pad RTC and sensors ). Current developments favor 44 or 28 pin dsPIC33EV or EP family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back