Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Westinghouse TV no picture but has sound DW39F1Y1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The no lights part bothers me. Are the lights(LEDs) on the display working, is everything else working except the picture? Can you try siwtching the TV programs and see if the sound switches too?

If its only the picture, than the video channel is cut on some point. It can be the connector(bend pins, bad contact, not soldered properly and etc.). if its not the connector the second option is the PCB traces, the third option is some component on the PCB traces's path and the 4th option is the LCD needs to be replaced.

Start checking the points that I gave you with a multimeter or osciloscope. When the voltage is cut on some component(meaning no voltage on it) post it here. It can be that the power supply for the video channel is not working.

The no lights part bothers me. Are the lights(LEDs) on the display working, is everything else working except the picture? Can you try siwtching the TV programs and see if the sound switches too?

If its only the picture, than the video channel is cut on some point. It can be the connector(bend pins, bad contact, not soldered properly and etc.). if its not the connector the second option is the PCB traces, the third option is some component on the PCB traces's path and the 4th option is the LCD needs to be replaced.

Start checking the points that I gave you with a multimeter or osciloscope. When the voltage is cut on some component(meaning no voltage on it) post it here. It can be that the power supply for the video channel is not working.

Presumably you're not a TV service engineer?, I'm not familiar with Westinghouse sets, but presumably it's just a cheap Chinese (or similar) set. The VAST majority (95%+) of faults on LCD TV's is the LCD panel itself, particularly if the fault is no picture. Assuming it is a cheap imported set?, and that it's an LED back-lit one, a common fault is failure of the LED's - which is generally more bother than it's worth, as there's a high chance of destroying the panel totally if you try and replace them, and if you manage that OK then another one dies a few weeks later.

That whole entire circuit board in the upper part of the picture appears to be a switching power supply and feeds voltage down to the lower circuit board through that little black connector in the lower/mid right corner of the picture, again... that is what it appears to be.

However with that being said... the yellow transformer right in the middle of the circuit board "BYO-198 / XX 1410B" appears to be badly overheated on one side and cracked in half, it probably has burnt wiring inside of it and is probably the source of the problem.

If it is indeed cracked in half I wouldn't even bother to try to remove it and just replace the entire circuit board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back