Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Were are the diodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

conntaxman

I found this cir. and the parts list,he has 2 diodes in the parts list but I can't find out were they are useing the 2 diodes,could someone look and let me know?I think one is on the feed/input of the 12vdc.Here is the link for it, and it is in the PDF file.
1.5A Constant Current Linear Regulator for LEDs for
tks.
Johnny.
Also ,i found on ebay a 10watt led with a forward voltage of 13/14 ,so it will be good for 12dc off of a battary.

They are both on the schematic. One is on the V+ input, probably reverse voltage protection. The other is a zener that looks like it's used to drop the 12v to 5v. It's hard to read the schematics. It's on the right hand schematic.

led

They are both on the schematic. One is on the V+ input, probably reverse voltage protection. The other is a zener that looks like it's used to drop the 12v to 5v. It's hard to read the schematics. It's on the right hand schematic.

hello smanches....you must mean on the number #1 schematic. I think that is the one on the right. I seen the one on the input,or as you said V+ That was on the left hand side.
Now I found a 10watt led that runs FV. at 13 to 14. That would be just what I need for what I want to do.I want to put these in my recessed lights in my kitchen to replace about the 75 watt bulbs.Useing the 10watt I would only need 2.
Thanks for the reply.
John

Instructables are written by guys who know nothing about electronics. If there is a schematic usually it is so fuzzy that you cannot read it.

leds

----------------------------------------
Hello Smanches, could you give a look at the pic. and see if Im correct.Atlease its clear and you can see all the componets good. Here is the link.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/02/F5Y1MEYG2HDZABN.pdf
I just found a clear schematic . But I just have a few questions.Hope someone could help explaining some things.
is their 2 feeds? one going to pin 1 and then one at the end of the trace from pin 4?
Now are the two LEDS in seires?
What is the small drawing to the Right hand side? I don't think it is used in the main cir.
So useing just the large schematic would be good to use.
The leds that Im using are 3watt-FV 3.2 to 4 FC 700ma. I dont know what the most leds that I could run in seires.
Im trying to get 7 to light in seires.I just got my leds in yesterday,
Thank you
John

I wouldn't call them two feeds, but yes, you need to supply 12V to everyplace on the schematic that has 12V next to the arrow.

There are no LEDs on the schematic, only a junction where you can string together leds in series. You can put as many as you want in there, as long as their forward voltages do not go above Vdd (12V in the schematic).

The small drawing on the right is a 5V zener regulator. It's only connection is the connector at the top of the page. I do not know what it is used for, but is not needed for the left side circuit to function.

You could put up to 3 of your LEDs in series with the 12V supply. 12v / 4v = 3. If you want to use 7 of them, you need to add them up and supply at least that voltage to the circuit. 4v * 7 = 28V input.

Last edited:
led

smanches ,thanks for the reply. Just want to make sure of this. 1 Feed of 12vdc will be at tge top left next to the D4-S01575...and the other will be next to C3-4.7UF up alittle bit to the right were it says 12v. Isn't that were they put the leds? It looks like it.It has LED LED. and the line on the right goes to the 2nd 12v.
My question is ,.wouldn't that will say the 2nd 12v connection Blow out the leds? or is the current regulated by pin 4 which is called Drain. Its funny they called that drain.sounds like plumbing or a Sink drain. ha ha ha .
Thanks alot,this sure Helpe me out ALOT.
Your a nice guy.
TKS again.

Yes, the Drain is the PWM switch. It is called a low-side switch, because it's switching the negative or ground side of the LEDs, not the positive side. that is why you need to supply the 12V to the LEDs.

The first 12V feed is to power the chip, the second 12V feed is to power the LEDs.

The LED LED is just where you put your series string of LEDs. If you look close, you'll see the - and + signs there so you know which way to hook them up.

Last edited:
led

Thank you smanches, atleast this way I won't blow out too many leds.Lol. The chip they say to get a digi-key,but I just found out another company with an easier site to order from.Allied Ele. dosen't carry the chip so he told me where else I could get then. Here is the link if you need it or if any one else would like it.
STCS1PHR STMicroelectronics LED Drivers
and the Manufactor part number is #stcs1phr And they only cost about $2.95 Not too bad I dont think.and here is the small part list
D4-S01575
R1-100R
R2-.068R
C2-.1UF
C3-4.7UF
U1-STCS1
Well thanks alot and if I could help you out with any Plumbing,Heating,Remodeling questions let me know.
Can't wait for this snow to be gone here in connecticut ,I want to ride my bike.[motorcycle]
Thank you very much.
John

I am way up North in Toronto, Canada. The roads, sidewalks and most of the grass are bare. There are only a few small piles of snow.
The squirrels are drinking maple syrup from my maple tree.

But I am glad I don't hear your noisy motorcycle (yet).

Led regulator

Hi smanches. I ordered some parts for the regular that I was going to build from the DIY link.But when I looked at them today after getting them from the mail, I just laughed. These things are sooooo small. Im use to componets with wire leads on them. My question is do or can I solder the diodes leads onto these diodes or just get different ones?link for diodes.
CD1206-S01575 Bourns Diodes (General Purpose, Power, Switching)
Also could I just solder the led driver to a PC board.link for that.
STCS1PHR STMicroelectronics LED Drivers
I just ordered what was on the small parts list from the DIY project. ha ha ,I'll need a magnafine glass. hee hee hee.
Tks alot
John

Yes, the Drain is the PWM switch. It is called a low-side switch, because it's switching the negative or ground side of the LEDs, not the positive side. that is why you need to supply the 12V to the LEDs.

The first 12V feed is to power the chip, the second 12V feed is to power the LEDs.

The LED LED is just where you put your series string of LEDs. If you look close, you'll see the - and + signs there so you know which way to hook them up.

Your diodes are tiny because you bought them from a cheap joint that shows "no image" instead of their photo.

leds

audio, I just order what was on the list and it was from an american comany,also if you go to ALLIED Ele. on the net they also have items without pictures.And I know of other places tjhat dont show pic.
I think it is for a PC Board and they solder it on the FLAT EDGES some how.
Also im not a electronic engineer, but just tring to get help to build this very small circuit to light 3-3watt leds.
Do you have a circuit that would work to light up the leds?
Thanks to many that gave help.
John

The diode is in a tiny surface-mount package that is placed and soldered by a robot.
An ordinary diode is in a package big enough for you to hold and has a wire out of each end for you to place in holes on a pcb.

I look at the datasheet for every part that I use.

leds

audio. i know that most parts have a lead at each end.So you can solder to a PC.board.
I'll just have to pick up ones with wire leads at each end,of the same Value.
Just never seen one. well I did but that was on a ciricut board..
John

led cir.

smanches. I built this small cir. and the 3 leds were not too bright.well not bright as a 3 watt led should be. I put the leds in seires and the voltage while they were on was the first led was 7.5 and the the second led was 5.1 and the third led was 2.3 If i were to change the value of R1 which is 100 ohm to about 50ohm would that give me more current to the leds?
here is the link.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/02/F5Y1MEYG2HDZABN-1.pdf
They seem to be only about 1/3 to 1/4 the brightness of what they should be.
I have to laugh,those very small parts are hard to solder. ha ha ha
tks
Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back