Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WeMos D1 Mini problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi,

Have got one of the ebay WeMos D1 Mini ESP8266 -12 modules and have been able to download code to it from the Ardunio ide /usb and its runs fine on its own using the basic code examples for a web server and a network scanner.

However I am looking to use it with an Arduino project that need many more i/os than the Wemos can handle, so tried some of the various code examples from the web, but each time the Uno would not get any response from the Wemos to the initial AT+RST command.

This is the last code I tried https://www.instructables.com/id/noobs-guide-to-ESP8266-with-Arduino-Mega-2560-or-U/

Have just tried it on a mega board so easier to use the serial hardware lines and it still does not give any response to the AT commands.

Tried changing the Serial2 baud rates without any effect.
Have scoped, all the way to the actual esp chips smd pad the incoming signal ok, as 3.1v via a pot div, but nothing showing on the Wemos TX line., just high.
The Wemos Reset pin is also in its default high.

Any suggestions of any other software test I could do to help locate the problem or prove the board is faulty ...?

thanks

Some don't have at programed into it AT code belonged to MIT and they made them remove it.
You have to flash it with firmware that has AT commands

Right, thanks, looking at all those code examples, never saw any mention about the AT commands not being there.

Just been looking, seems like there is lots of info about re-flashing, hopefully that will sort things ...

ESP8266 -12 I have about 10 of those none had AT commands the 01 and 07 came with it.

I tried to use At commands with the Esp, however I've had way more success programming the Esp with the arduino Ide, most projects dont even need an extra processor or arduino.

I tried to use At commands with the Esp, however I've had way more success programming the Esp with the arduino Ide, most projects dont even need an extra processor or arduino.
No, the ESP itself has much greater capabilities than an Arduino, more RAM, more ROM, and much faster.

Hi,

Then would you say it would be better to port the Unos code over to the ESP -12 and use an I2c port expander for the extra I/Os the Uno was providing ?
( I'm not using any shields, just my own pcb/baseboard/circuitry)

Just a follow up question to my original problem, have been downloading the AT code and Flashers for the AT commands, (which I am holding back on doing depending on this and the above question ) but wondered if the AT code is the same as whats in the Wemos at the moment only less the AT commands or are there some major differences that I need to be aware of ?
( am aware there are various firmwares for the ESPs but as yet do not know what they all do etc, wifi etc new to me)

thanks.

Then would you say it would be better to port the Unos code over to the ESP -12 and use an I2c port expander for the extra I/Os the Uno was providing ?
( I'm not using any shields, just my own pcb/baseboard/circuitry)

What about a full size Wemos (rather than the mini), as it's the same footprint as a Uno - although I've never bother to compare the exact number of I/O.

Nige, yes the Esp is an 80mc processor, however it has harvard architecture just like pic's.
Yes it would be more professional to have the 'ole lot on just the Esp, like Burt says the Esp will run 'duino code no problem, theres just a certain few lib's that are special to the Esp.

Hi Dr.Pepper / All

Noticed your post in Nigels current ESP thread and seems we both have greenhouse controllers, but mine has 4 DS18b20 controlling the main heater and some propagators as well as watering timers.

Your browser dials and graph display looks very neat, wondered if they were your own custom creations or some freeware ?

As mentioned earlier, wifi is totally new to me , so forgive if I am asking the obvious, but when using the ESP as a web server you can send out the temps ok, but if I wanted to say, send back the the ESP and/or Uno a new temp setting, can I do that from the browser ?

Similarly the moby Apps do look as if they do that kind of display and adjust without any problem , though not sure what the differences are between the App and PC browsers in respect of using an ESP ?

I used google guage, its a api provided free by google, my code doesnt store the data for the guage, it refers the browser to a google site where it can find the data, however you can download the data and include it in your server to make it have no dependencies easily enough.
I used 1 x am2303 (Dht22), and 1 x Ds18b20, and of course a Esp8266 01.
The Esp sends temp and humidity data to the browser via ajax/json.
A common way to return data from a browser to an Esp is to do so via the ip address, ie add /led_on to the end of the address, then the Esp can then act upon it.
It doesnt matter what device is connected to the Esp, so long as its browser supports the same html/json/css/javascript protocols, my nasty old mobile with android 2 doesnt run some of my projects properly.
I cannot claim all the credit for the screenshot, it was based on a project I didnt do, I modded it to look and do as I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back