Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Well Crafted SPAM - (example of what to watch for)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
DerStrom was apparently was hit by a Paypal scheme. Here is an example of a "well crafted Adobe Scheme" I added the .spam domain and the do not click so copy/paste won't work.

1. The first error that's noticed is that the domain is not www.adobe.com
2. The second mistake is the name of the company is Adobe System and not Adobe Systems.

Here is the whois entry for adobe.com: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=whois+adobe.com

Here is the whois entry for adobe-systems: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=whois+adobe-systems.com

Note it's assigned to level 3 communications.

Level 3 is a major communications provider and thus the names are proabably re-assigned and thus again it looks real. It is re-assigned.

It doesn't pass the smell test. This is how you can easily get nailed. I'm not about to go there. My Spidy sense would say that the Adobe knows how to spell their company name.

One would think the version would be mentioned. Furthermore, this email is not known to Adobe.

Subtle changes is what you have to look for. This is how easy you can end up getting infected with something you don't want. In all probability it's bogus.

As the final test, I looked at the headers and there was an [x-originating IP] whose results were:

C:\Users\Owner> nslookup 96.47.30.250
Server: UnKnown
Address: 10.0.1.1

Name: billmelater.outbound.ed10.com
Address: 96.47.30.250

I just would not trust it. This is something in which if you were interested, you would go direct to Adobe and not risk clicking on a link. There is a possibility that it real, but it's doubtful.

Flag this message
New Adobe PDF Reader/Creator Available Now ! Upgrade Today
Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:52 PM
"Adobe System Incorporated" <newsletter@adobe-systems.com>
Add sender to Contacts
To: (my email)

Get The New PDF Reader/Creator Release

Adobe is pleased to announce new version upgrades for Adobe Acrobat Reader

**broken link removed** (Do not go here)

New Version Features :

- Open virtually any PDF document
- Edit PDF files like they are Word docs
- Convert PDFs to and from Office files
- Create completely original, unique PDFs
- Print PDF files with a single mouse click
- Save time by creating PDFs quicker
- Design professionally crafted documents

To upgrade and enhance your work productivity today, go to:

**broken link removed** (Do not go here)

Our whole team has been working hard to satisfy your product needs.

Start downloading the update right now and let us know what you think about it.

We're working on making Adobe Acrobat Reader better all the time !

Copyright 2012 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.

See, this is why I think we need the +1 option on first posts!

Thank you very much KISS for the info and analysis. You've brought several new things into light for me, and I very much appreciate it. I just hope nobody else falls for the same scam I did :p

Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back