Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Welding machine ampire control circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

addaelectric

Hi,
I have old welding transformer in put 240volts out put 45volts that machine no control unit
without load its take 15 amp with load 60amp taking Iwant tomake circuit for ampire regulater 60amp current need simple circuit

It shouldn't draw 15A with no load connected, it sounds like you have a shorted turn.

Actually 15 amps at idle on a larger low grade welder transformer is not uncommon. They have aluminum windings and sloppy low grade high inductance iron in the cores. The wattage they draw is not all that high but the VA is!:(

What type of welder did the transformer come from? A constant current stick welder or constant voltage wire feed welder?

the welding transformer no any short sound sec winding volt 45 both sec side cable short arc comeing but high ampire

So how was it regulated before it came out of the welder?
45 volts open circuit seems low. Typically they are around 65 - 80 volts open circuit.

A shorted turn would explain that.;)

Hi,
This welding transformer I found from scrap yard this trans orgenaly work 3 phase and singalphase one side of transformer winding 240v another side 240v both connect itwill run 415v unlucky one side coil burn so I useing one side winding 240v now I want to modyfi this transformer as mig welding.
Wirefeeder I have now only need help for current regulater circut for ajuesting ampire and volts. last time I wound more coil wire turns as same gauge wire but still current high.

Unfortunately, it is not that simple as one might think since the mig welder works in constant voltage mode and not on constant current as a stick electrode welder. its output voltage is lower - 16 to 22 or 24v and it has to be rectified since it works on dc. the common way to regulate is a trnsformer that is made with taps - which I believe that dont exist in your case. in addition - there is a choke on the output of the welding current. one more thing - you need to add another winding that will supply the power to the feeder motor, so to take all this into consideration - it is not that that simple. it can be done but I think that to buy even a second hand mig welder is much better, unless of course, if you are determined to do it, no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back