Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

welcome back

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostman11

i would just like to say nice to have the site back after the HACK!! apparently over 250,000 sites have been hit with sarbot in last 5 days!

Wow, I woke up this morning as soon as I checked this site all I saw was that vandalism.... Kinda stupid if you ask me, I mean why would he/they pick on a forum like us? If I were a black-hat hacker I would go for youtube or twitter or something! Looked like he gave himself root access to electro-techs' servers and proceeded to change the index and other pages.
BTW, has the vulnerability been patched?

Create root user account on Linux Fedora Core. | Linux Windows ...

They hit any website they find that is vulnerable to the attack, they're not picking on anyone in particular. It's an ego game and more than a little stupid.
People might want to think about their password security at this point. It's not very likley as typically they're not out to actually hack people's accounts but if they had root access then it means they had access to an unshadowed version of the password file to download, brute force guessing can determine the password from the hash unless it's extremely long. Not likely but if you share passwords with any other sites I'd recommend changing them all just on general principal, and be extra aware of any phishing schemes you get in e-mail for a bit.

At one point the site looked like this.

After some thought, I decided to delete the screenshot I had posted. Don't want to give the hacker free advertising.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure if it was the forum itself that was hacked, it may have been an ISP vulnerability to a rootkit. The hacker that did it had no skillz =>

Apparently it trashed a number of members spell check functions as well and they have yet to come back on line? :rolleyes:

Watchoo talkin about tcmtech?

Last edited:
At one point the site looked like this.

After some thought, I decided to delete the screenshot I had posted. Don't want to give the hacker free advertising.

He/she is not a hacker Mike, a hacker needs deep technical knowledge and a philosophy of life (or at least any objective different from just vandalizing things to impress his/her friends). It's just a stupid Lammer.

Watchoo talkin about tcmtech?

To put it mildly I tend to be somewhat of a fast reader and More than a bit dyslexic on the spelling end of things and even I pick up a lot of stuff and just go WTF? far too often. :eek:

I cant spell my way out of a paper bag most days and even I see many peoples spelling and just go 'Thats not right..!?!' :p

i only spell bad to confuse you :D:D gives me a warm fuzzy feeling of power and control over you lol :p

Last edited:
I blame my spelling errors on the keyboard or software. :)

i only spell bad to confuse you :D:D gives me a warm fuzzy feeling of power and control over you lol :p

No, you're mistaken there .... we just scroll past your replies.

I just on occasion I use the ignore function in the control panel and just make certain people disappear from my view for a while when they get to far off their rockers. :D
Although I have found that when I take too many nuts out of the brownies the favor for me seems to get a bit off around here then. :(

If you have made a response to me and I never replied guess why! :rolleyes:
(I cant hear you or see you now) :D

"ghostman" sounds like a good hacker's name!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back