Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Web Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks ill be sure to look into it. Im having issue with Debian like monitor wise ... i cant select resolutions and some other settings. I will try to install Ubuntu.

Debian is command line only and should be much easier to setup the monitor for then a distro with a disktop.

If you have a specific question or problem ask and perhaps we can help.

Debian doesn't care what you use--cli or GUI. If you install Gnome (which IIRC is the default) then you'll get the GUI desktop. But it's easy enough to remove the GUI if you don't want it, or if you just want it not to start automatically when you boot, you can run:

% update-rc.d -f gdm remove

To help with your other graphics problem we'd need to know your hardware specs and the version of Debian you're using.

Torben

ok the debian i installed had a GUI... can you tell me which is best to download and install... Since you both know more than me

If you need the GUI, I'd go with Gnome or if the machine is kinda old or weak XFCE.

Really though there's no need for a GUI on a server and it will just waste resources (and distract you from what you're really trying to do).

Torben

would this be correct?
**broken link removed**

debian-504-i386-DVD-1.iso

Thats the one i had but it has a GUI

If you don't want the GUI and if the box you're installing onto has net access (preferably via Ethernet and not Wifi, although Wifi might work for you too) then go with Debian -- Network install from a minimal CD which is a minimal network install. All it has is the bare necessities to get up and running, after which it lets you selectively download and install what you need. Once the base system is up and running you can install your LAMP stack. Google "basic Debian LAMP install" for scads of information. Most tuturials have some variant of the following though:

% apt-get install mysql-client mysql-server
% apt-get install apache2
% apt-get install php5 libapache2-mod-php5

And to install the various extensions for PHP (you won't need all of these to start but it doesn't hurt to have them installed):

% apt-get install install php5-mysql php5-curl php5-gd php5-idn php-pear php5-imagick php5-imap php5-mcrypt php5-memcache php5-mhash php5-ming php5-ps php5-pspell php5-recode php5-snmp php5-sqlite php5-tidy php5-xmlrpc php5-xsl php5-json

Torben

Quick question... if i use the GUI can i also use the terminal from within?

Yup. You can also press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to another terminal from the one the GUI is running on. Usually there are 7 or 8 terminals at boot; the GUI runs in one of them. Press Alt-F7 to get back to the GUI's term if you do this.

If you've installed the Gnome desktop, then there should be a gnome-terminal icon in the top panel. Otherwise look in the Application menu for Terminal. It's in the Accessories subfolder in Ubuntu; could be a different spot in Debian.

Torben

thanks a ton. I tested out on a virtualbox and since i can use both GUI and terminal i will dual boot another PC i have for now. In the future i will setup a standalone box for this and just hopefully move all my data over or remove the windows boot and use that as the main one...

No problem. Just post if you run into any trouble and I'll see what I can rustle up.

Good luck,

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back