Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weatherproofing a photo cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

k7elp60

I am working on a project to detect dusk with a photo cell. The electronics part is not a problem. I would like the photo cell to be mounted so that it has a clear orientation to light in my yard, yet be waterproof. Are there photo cell mounts that have a lens and mount to on the outside of an enclosure?, or are there mounting techniques the water proof the photo cell?

There are weather tight photocells available. Google or whatever search engine you prefer "watertight photocell" or "weather tight photocell".
If you like window shopping go to your local Home Depot or Lowes electrical department they will have then too or once you see one maybe you can make a homebrew model

The photocell method doesn;t work well. I'd advise you to not waste your time. Clouds, rain etc fool it. Use an astronomical timer.

The photocell method doesn;t work well. I'd advise you to not waste your time. Clouds, rain etc fool it. Use an astronomical timer.
I hear you, it sounds reasonable. Can you describe an astronomical timer?

Photocells are used on street lights around the world, though some are now radio controlled.

Having an automotive background I'd use something along the lines of a vehicle light as an enclosure, rubbolite trailer side lamps are ideal.

002__90253_std.JPG

Last edited:
I hear you, it sounds reasonable. Can you describe an astronomical timer?
An astronomical timer is an electronic timer you program with your approximate latitude, date and time, it then switches the output on/off using a programmed table of sunrise and sunset times. I have installed outdoor lighting using both astronomic timers and photocells. I prefer the photocells because they are much more accurate than the timers.

The photocell works best when aimed at true North. It also does not need to be adjusted to daylight savings time.

Last edited:
What about just using a cheap clear plastic disposable ballpoint pen case or part thereof and a dab or two of silicon to seal it?
Can be made to be sticking out the top of your enclosure easily too :)

I'm using a $15 plug in timer from ebay for an interior light. ON about 1 hr after sunset. OFF at 11pm.

No glitches with rain or clouds, etc.

DST took a day to sync.

I do need a motion detector light that would work between 11p and sunrise. The photocell on the motion detector wont go dark enough.

This is for elderly mom. Once motion i triggered, the light stays on for 5 minutes. Annoyingly it comes on when it's "too light". In moms eyes a 7 W light bulb wastes money.

Most of my many solar garden lights use photocells (LDRs). They are not accurate because each one turns on or off at a different time. The cheap photocells get sunburned in a couple of years and fail.

I thank you all for your suggestions and information. At present I have one system that uses a small solar panel(9"x9") that I use to charge a 12v battery in the daytime and power some LED lighting at night. I discovered if I put a light load(zener diode and a resistor) to the solar panel the volt drops to trigger voltage at dusk, which turns on the lighting and then turns them off at daylight. I think I will use that circuit with a wireless transmitter and receivers to do the controlling of some other systems. Thanks again for you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back