Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weather station

Status
Not open for further replies.

ala199

I'd like to build weather station, what could meaure only wind speed and then draw a graphic on a PC monitor. I'm thinking of useing micro motor and prop to generate voltage. Maybe someone has better ideas how to build it. :?:

ala199 said:
I'd like to build weather station, what could meaure only wind speed and then draw a graphic on a PC monitor. I'm thinking of useing micro motor and prop to generate voltage. Maybe someone has better ideas how to build it. :?:

A prop needs to point in to the wind, the usual way is to have the motor vertical with three half spheres (half table tennis balls?) on horizontal shafts set 120 degrees apart - this way it's not directional.

Driving a motor also takes a fair bit of wind power, it's easier to spin a slotted disk and use opto-switches to detect the rotation. But either method can be (and has been) used.

I agree, it seems that this is the way to go as far as wind speed, at least with commercial weather stations. I have seen some circuits which use open light bulbs (A bulb with the glass removed), but of course, this wouldn't be very smart for outdoor use. :D.

FYI. this type of instrument is technically defined as an "Anemometer" which may help you with some searching for circuits. :D

There are some circuits which use temperature and impedance for measurements as well. Check out this site:
**broken link removed**
and this site for the relating circuit:
**broken link removed**

Hopefully this will give you some ideas. I don't know the specifics of the design, but I thought I could help with some links. Good luck!

being a kitesurfer and some one who is constantly watching the wind i have looked in to anemometer quite a bit. and by far the most intresting projects i have some across have involed using ultra sonic sensors. just talking to each other lie an x. the distanc eis constant but the speed is affected by the wind, this also gives direction and has no moving parts to grease etc.
look here:**broken link removed**

or here for a kit:
**broken link removed**

being a kitesurfer and some one who is constantly watching the wind i have looked in to anemometer quite a bit.

Sorry to stray from the main topic at hand.
Have you ever studied thermals? Very interesting topic, and quite the study! I studied a few years on thermals, because my dad flew gliders (Sailplanes etc.) in competition, and most of the lift is derived from thermals. That is, unless you're flying on a wind slope.

Have you ever flown your kite using thermals for lift? I'm just wondering how it went etc.

Again, sorry for the stray convo, but I can't help myself. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back