Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weather station controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellu_

Part 1
I have been doing small home made weather station.Adapter is ready and it's like this: https://www.mrsoft.fi/images/1WireAdpt.png .There insert DS1820 temperature sensors and it's work ok.

Part 2
The next project is construct bigger station.Assembly: temperature (2x Ds1820), wind speed(reed switch), wind direction, humidity sensor, solar sensor, water sensor and weather information to the websites.

But i don't know What microcontroller i must choose?

All directions are welcome.:D

Which ones are you familiar with?, any should be fine, it's a fairly trivial task, personally I'd use a PIC, but AVR's or anything else are really just as suitable. Pick what you already know.

For you convenience I have included prices in the following posts. I have no interest monetary or otherwise in what Prof Peter Anderson sells. He does use the profits from sales to help support electronic programs at the school where he teaches. He is an Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering at Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD

Look at the inexpensive WX175 weather station kit with a programmed PIC that does most (maybe all) of what you need for $25. It is just the PIC and a handful of parts, no board.

If it is not exactly what you want to do it is still worth a look to see how he has managed some of the problem.

He does not include source code with the kit. But for $40 he will sell you a large quantity of CCS PIC C code. Sample - First 20 Pages associated with the PIC16F87X (56K). There is also A PC Interface using Liberty Basic which is free (the interface not the compiler which is inexpensive). A link to an outfit that sells some very robust instruments Interfacing with a Fascinating Anemometer and Wind Vane.

The following routines are of a weather monitoring nature.
  • humid_2.c - Illustrates an interface with a Honeywell HIH-3610 to measure relative humidity.
  • barom.c - Interface with a Motorola MPX4115 pressure sensor.
  • wind_dir.c - Use of a dual potentiometer to determine wind direction
  • DS2438_1.c - Use of a DS2438 (1-W) Battery Monitor to measure Temperature, V_DD and V_AD.
  • DS2438_2.c - Use of a DS2438 Battery Monitor and Honeywell HIH-3610 to measure temperature and relative humidity.

The code is written in CCS C. Given everything you wan to do you will run up against the 2K limitation of the demo version of the CCS compiler. (It may take you a while to do so). I am not sure but I think this package includes his tutorial by example notes that explain how many of the routines work. It is very informative and will save you a lot of time.

The only built in non-standard language features he uses is interrupt handling. This makes the code an easy port to the 18F family if you would like to use the free student version of the Microchip C18 compiler. Or you can opt to buy the CCS compiler for $125.

You can possibly find similar routines for free if you search for them. But, he has done a nice job on the package of routines and it will save you a lot of time.

Then you will need a programmer/debugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back