Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wearing out EEPROMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassnut

Im useing an RF module in a project that requires changing set up parameters often and rapidly with its PIC host (channel, frequency). Set up parameters are stored in the modules EEPROM as defaults on power up. When commands are sent by the host to change these parameters, is the EEPROM being updated on the fly at the same time (the same would apply to for PIC setup parameters itself I guess)?. Given an EEPROM can take some 100K updates in its life, that would be a worry with continous fast coded changes. Or are changes only stored in the EEPROM on power down?.

I am afraid to say EEPROM's are only updated upon programming in a programming device. Once in the system an EEPROM is only read. Perhaps you mean Flash or something else.

OK, flash then, or whatever non volatile memory is used in modules and PICs (with no batt backup) to store parameters that survive power cycling and can be changed with code. Flash also has a defined write life. Thinking, since these values can be changed in code, and I have never seen a "wearout warning" in docs, the answer is probably obvious, but a puzzle to me.

Considering that Flash drives are sold with the idea that they will be rewritten time and time again, I would venture to guess that you should not need to worry :)

Flash drives are manually written to by people pushing the "save" or "record" button ;-), code can write a command that could involve saving 1000s of times a second, which means flash lifetime could be measured in hrs. I want to change the RF module frequency with code at khz, I suspect its OK, just wondered what would happen.

I am afraid to say EEPROM's are only updated upon programming in a programming device. Once in the system an EEPROM is only read. Perhaps you mean Flash or something else.

No, you're thinking of EPROM - he's asking about EEPROM - it's used in most consumer products, and is used for storing all the settings. You should design the system to minimise the number of writes to individual addresses, and not save when there's no reason.

Most of the early 'FLASH' devices (such as Atmels) were actually EEPROM and not FLASH at all.

Flash drives are manually written to by people pushing the "save" or "record" button ;-), code can write a command that could involve saving 1000s of times a second, which means flash lifetime could be measured in hrs. I want to change the RF module frequency with code at khz, I suspect its OK, just wondered what would happen.

Store your boot code in flash. Write to RAM for on the fly changes.

No, you're thinking of EPROM - he's asking about EEPROM - it's used in most consumer products, and is used for storing all the settings. You should design the system to minimise the number of writes to individual addresses, and not save when there's no reason.

Most of the early 'FLASH' devices (such as Atmels) were actually EEPROM and not FLASH at all.

Your right, my mistake.

OK, I dont want to draw this out too much, but the RF modules (wireless RS232 data transievers actually) simply accept serial commands to change parameters (no fancy choices on how its done), which must be stored because they are preserved on power cycling. Other than my specific project, I bought it up because this is quite common on devices, commands to change stored values (baud rate etc) which are usefull to change on the fly, would be interesting if someone had some experience.

Im thinking perhaps these changes are only stored during powerdown some how, with its internal power supply brownout detector.

OK, I dont want to draw this out too much, but the RF modules (wireless RS232 data transievers actually) simply accept serial commands to change parameters (no fancy choices on how its done), which must be stored because they are preserved on power cycling. Other than my specific project, I bought it up because this is quite common on devices, commands to change stored values (baud rate etc) which are usefull to change on the fly, would be interesting if someone had some experience.

Im thinking perhaps these changes are only stored during powerdown some how, with its internal power supply brownout detector.

How often do you change the baudrate on an RF module?, only very occasionally I suspect - you only store it when you change it, so hardly any saves would need to be done.

LOL, I meant that as a general example of a stored parameter. Frequency and channel channel changes on an RF module are very usefull indeed, in fact the manufacturer upgraded the product to allow these changes to be done very quickly (easyradio), implling that users want to change frequently. Unfortuanately, this kind of tech detail is difficult to extract, many treat it as proprietry design detail. Anyway, thanks for your input guys, this forum is varied and very interesting.

LOL, I meant that as a general example of a stored parameter. Frequency and channel channel changes on an RF module are very usefull indeed, in fact the manufacturer upgraded the product to allow these changes to be done very quickly (easyradio), implling that users want to change frequently. Unfortuanately, this kind of tech detail is difficult to extract, many treat it as proprietry design detail. Anyway, thanks for your input guys, this forum is varied and very interesting.

'Frequently' is a very inexact term - changing the parameters on an easyradio modules would certainly not be something I would consider 'frequent'.

I'll give you a better example, which you might find more useful - your TV. Everytime you change the volume the new setting is saved to EEPROM - I'm sure that's a LOT more frequent than changing the setup on a radio module.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back