Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Way to jam a signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcremes

Is there a way I can build a circuit that will jam a signal. Say, I'm going to play laser tag, and I know the frequency that the system runs at. Would it be possible to disrupt that signal some way?

Circuit Schematics would help :)

That's pretty obvious, just generate that frequency all the time with a constant bright signal.

Why would you want to cheat at laser tag? Your friends will hate you.

Plus, while your friends who aren't cheating will actually be getting better, you'll be leaning on your crutch. Then when you don't have it they'll light you up like a Christmas tree. Actually on second thought it won't go that far, since the trick will only work once. Lot of effort for a practical joke (but hey, could be fun anyway).

How does your laser tag system work? What information is being transmitted via RF? i.e. are the vests/helmets sending "hit" signals to a base station? If so, how do the base stations tell that you haven't just turned off your system to prevent it from sending hits?

Anyway, it would be easier to help if you specified a few things:

1) What is the frequency?
2) What is the required output power (or what power levels are you hoping to overcome)?
3) What is the required range?
4) What is the acceptable maximum size? Weight?
5) What power source(s) do you have available?

Do you have some way to measure the output so you know you're outputting on the expected frequency and not swamping something else (harmonics included)?

Torben

Yeah, all the sensors go to a base, but the thing is, I'm not quite sure what the frequency is because I don't know where we're playing at. I'm going to find out then call them and find out the frequency. And I won't need much output power, because I'll only need around 2 meters of range for it (I don't want to screw up the whole system). I'd like the size to be around the size of a camera probably. Just something that would fit into a project box. And I was hoping I could power it with just a 9v battery, but i can get any type of adapter. And I can measure the output frequency.

Honestly, I would hope no one would help with such a project, it's just not right.
In some situations I would say you could use superior intellect and ability to 'bend' the rules for a jammer like that, but you're not trying to design one yourself, you just want a black box you can plug in that will work. You're not looking to design this yourself just build it. Although on a wholly different level it's similar to going on the net to find schematics and methods for constructing an atomic bomb without doing the work to figure it out yourself, let alone think about the moral implications of it, you just want to get one up on some buds you play laser tag with. Not a good enough reason to help someone with a project in my opinion =\

Last edited:
i've tried this before, it just won't work. each gun emits a coded digital pulse, similar to a TV remote, this in itself makes such a feat redundant. then you have a vest that receives the IR signal, then retransmits the data about who the shot came from, and sends it to an extenal computer that keeps track of who shot who. with so many "moving parts" it's a goal that is usualy unrealistic. However... you can make an "IR grenade" that you program with your guns frequency before you start. i have never done this because i'm good enough that i don't need to stoop such levels (20 hours of online first person shooting games will do that to you). but something like that could be done. Besides, it's just a game anyway

Last edited:
Honestly, I would hope no one would help with such a project, it's just not right.
In some situations I would say you could use superior intellect and ability to 'bend' the rules for a jammer like that, but you're not trying to design one yourself, you just want a black box you can plug in that will work. You're not looking to design this yourself just build it. Although on a wholly different level it's similar to going on the net to find schematics and methods for constructing an atomic bomb without doing the work to figure it out yourself, let alone think about the moral implications of it, you just want to get one up on some buds you play laser tag with. Not a good enough reason to help someone with a project in my opinion =\

Actually I had two goals with my post: pointing out that there isn't anything close to enough information available to even get started, and trying to point out to the OP that this is unlikely to be a successful endeavour even if he can get a jammer built for the frequency in question (which is unknown anyway). The jammer isn't the hard part--the hard part is making one which wouldn't invalidate the user as far as the game is concerned. Putting the user's hardware out of contact with the central system is AFAIK far more likely to just cause the system to consider that player to be "turned off" than it is to have any positive impact on that player's score. :)

If the guy wants to build one let him. The scorn of the other players will be punishment enough when they learn of the underhanded tactic. At any rate, I've never built a jammer of any kind (at least, not intentionally) and I'm nobody's go-to guy for RF anyway. ;)

Torben

Well, I don't have a degree in EE like all of you, in fact, I'm just trying to learn the basics, so I'm just getting experience by learning from other schematics. I'd think that you of all people would understand this as your profile does say that you are a facilitator.

Well, I don't have a degree in EE like all of you, in fact, I'm just trying to learn the basics, so I'm just getting experience by learning from other schematics. I'd think that you of all people would understand this as your profile does say that you are a facilitator.

i don't have a degree either. i'm still learning electronics (really i will never stop learning) you just have to be enthusiastic and make the best of what you're learning.

jcremes if you think we all have EE degrees you really do have a lot to learn.

actually, if you want to improve your score at laser tag, there are better ways of doing it. get some books about military urban warfare and close quarters battle tactics, and learn some of the techniques you find there. learn to "read" your "battlefield", where you can fire from without putting yourself in danger, how to clear a room, the use of cover and concealment. things like that will help you a lot more than "fixing" the system in your favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back