Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Way of Automating 2 pole 6 way rotary switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

otm

Hello Everyone,

long time no speak.... (sorry I really should get around to inputting to the community)...

I am working on a project to create automation systems for functions that are currently manual....

I have the main points down, TCP/IP and various normal relay controls with latching and non latching relays etc.. However, I'm really struggling with one point...

The system at the moment im stuggling with is an audio input selector to a Audio IR modulator and transmitter. The WIR TX 925 has two channel inputs, which it modulates for IR headsets to pick up.

We use a 2 pole, 6 way rotary switch to connect several different input source options to the 2 channel inputs...

My aim, is to automate this.

I'm really struggling to find a solution to this, I've looked at bus switches and all sorts, but finding a UK avaliable part is difficult (also that I understand, and can solder (Smd/SOIC is a no no)).

I would, if possible want to retain a manual override should the TCP commands not work, but that would be a simply switch input to the IC controller (Picaxe, nice and simple for this usage, I know its an Education type chip and not true hobbyist, but hey ho! I like them!!) which then controlls the output in the same way...

I suppose a bank of relays could work, but as latching relays are expensive, its not ideal for a tight budget again I could use normal relays but I dont want to drain unneeded power on a system that will be powered 24/7.

has anyone any experience with similiar projects?

Thanks in advance,

Owen.

PS. I've never used multiplexers before so wouldnt know if they are suitable for this analogue design

A CD4051 is a simple IC that is an analog switch with up to 8 positions that are determined by a binary input.
A 74HC4051 can drive lower impedances.
They are fine with selecting audio. Use two for stereo.

Reactions: otm
Sorry for the late reply!

Thank you! I have looked the CD4051 and that seems perfect!!

I assume with a +/- 5 vcc it wil cope with line level audio?

Thank you,

Owen.

Plus and minus 5V is fine for powering the CD4051 and using it for switching audio.
In some audio circuits the audio level is ramped down before switching then ramped back up after switching to avoid a POP sound.

Reactions: otm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back