Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Waves Project for a Micro Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesko

At my school the teachers must have gone mad because they given as a project for micro controllers without any information about the micro controllers, just gave was the data sheet and we have to finish it for 2 weeks and one have passed. I tried to do something about it but I don't know where to start it is like searching for a branch in the forest. The only back ground that I have is a little C programing but it is not helping me much. We are using PIC16F690 microcontroller. If some one can help me withe code ore some thing I will be MOST great full! :confused:

The REQUIREMENTS:

The student must build a ‘digital function generator’.
Waveforms
• Sine
• Square
• Triangle
• Sawtooth
The waveform must be selected with a ‘switch’.
The frequency of the signal must be adjusted with an analog input signal.
There is no requirement to adjust the amplitude of the signal.

You are the second person to post this exact same request - it's by no means a trivial project, and if you haven't already got a good degree of PIC hardware and programming experiemce you're completely stuffed!.

There's no way a total beginner could be expected to do this project in two weeks!.

That is what I think :mad: !! But the teachers are not and that is the problem.
And I'm sorry for the same post, I did not see that there is the same one.

Vesko said:
That is what I think :mad: !! But the teachers are not and that is the problem.
And I'm sorry for the same post, I did not see that there is the same one.

See what the other students in the class think - and see which one has already posted here! :p

Haha. Most of my class have a background in electronics and don't have such big problem as me. But they at list have from something to start as for me I know almost nothing :) . Pleas give me something go start with. And I have to right the program in C with MPLAB.

What do you have so far..... just a pic chip, or a cable to connect it to a comp? development environment? compiler? Let us know and while we won't do your assignment for you, we may be able to supply pointers.

Well I have the micro controller PIC16F690, PICkid2, MPLAB and HI-TECH Software that is all that I have :)

Nice, I've got a very similar setup here. Start by trying to get a simple program assembled and downloaded - just turn one of the outputs on and try to light up an LED or something.
If you can't do this either you shouldn't be on that course or the teachers have missed 27 stages out.

Search for 'DSS', Digital-Signal-Synthesis. I know there is one as you described for AVR, LCD. Have seen some that use a seperate chip to generate the signals, the MCU just sets the particulars and does display and inputs. Guessing with only two weeks, oops, guess it's more like a few days by now... You'll be looking for a software only solution. You'll need to create the wave forms in data tables.

Less than a week, might consider investing in a large jar of vaseline, because you know what's coming up from behind... :)

Well there is no more specifications. I did a little program for the LED. But that is not so hard because I can actually see what I'm doing the problem is when I'm not :). And I'm not giving in my ass that easily :p.

Have a look here:

**broken link removed**

It should give you a (pic) basic insight into what is needed.... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't matter what language you use, you still have to understand the problem / algorithm before you proceed. The project is not trivial and beyond most beginners. Do you have a schematic for it yet? How are you going to filter the output stage? What is the output D/A ladder or PWM? Which pins go where?

Man that is the problem I don't know nothing. I don't eaven know what you are talking about =/ .My specialty is IT and electronics and this is my furs semester and it is mixed and I want to go IT so my goal is just to pass the electronics and this is almost the last exercise.
I don't have any specifications only thous that I sad until now. Everything I have to figure out by my self. =./

You should mention to your teachers that you don't know where to start - there is clearly a mismatch between you and the course.
If you've got a specific question, ask here.

Well...

Vesko said:
At my school the teachers must have gone mad because they given as a project for micro controllers without any information about the micro controllers, just gave was the data sheet and we have to finish it for 2 weeks and one have passed. I tried to do something about it but I don't know where to start it is like searching for a branch in the forest. The only back ground that I have is a little C programing but it is not helping me much. We are using PIC16F690 microcontroller. If some one can help me withe code ore some thing I will be MOST great full! :confused:

The REQUIREMENTS:

The student must build a ‘digital function generator’.
Waveforms
• Sine
• Square
• Triangle
• Sawtooth
The waveform must be selected with a ‘switch’.
The frequency of the signal must be adjusted with an analog input signal.
There is no requirement to adjust the amplitude of the signal.

Wonderful,

all the waves that you mentioned can be produced with DAC - Digital to Analog converter..

I dont know whether pic has that or not...

but you can use DAC0800 available in the market.. and give the values accordingly...

Higher value like FF means maximum amplitude ... 80 means medium amplitude while 00 means lower amplitude...

Regards

Simran..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back