Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

.wav files on IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody0725

I have this project bout color sensor, my prof wanted for us to have an output voice corresponding to the color that it has sensed. I really don't have an idea what to use for that feature, please help, I really need suggestions here.:confused:

Yep, or if its a larger wav file, you can use serial flash. Very similar to SPI eeprom (the 93Cxx series) just with great storage. Providing you're not constantly re-writing the data, reading is identical to EEPROM's. I have done with an Attiny461, an atmega88, using two high speed 8-bit PWM's mixed to produce pseudo 16-bit quality. Probably over kill for your situation though :) 8-bit is 'usually' good enough. You could use PWM, or an external DAC, but most micro's have PWM built in.

I converted *.wav files to *.raw format, which is a binary file with no headers (no information regarding sample rate, resolution etc..) then wrote a small VB.NET app to download this to an AVR with a serial flash memory attached. As you require multiple ''sounds' to be played, you may want to arrange your memory into sections. This means your microcontroller just has to point to the start address of a sound, and read the memory for however many bytes it is.

Store the raw WAV files in an EEPROM, and read them out using a PIC feeding a D2A converter.

ah, I see, i have heard this EEPROM, but I'm not familiar with this, never thought this is the one I need. If you don't mind, how much does it cost? coz what I need is a cheap one.

Yep, or if its a larger wav file, you can use serial flash. Very similar to SPI eeprom (the 93Cxx series) just with great storage. Providing you're not constantly re-writing the data, reading is identical to EEPROM's. I have done with an Attiny461, an atmega88, using two high speed 8-bit PWM's mixed to produce pseudo 16-bit quality. Probably over kill for your situation though :) 8-bit is 'usually' good enough. You could use PWM, or an external DAC, but most micro's have PWM built in.

I converted *.wav files to *.raw format, which is a binary file with no headers (no information regarding sample rate, resolution etc..) then wrote a small VB.NET app to download this to an AVR with a serial flash memory attached. As you require multiple ''sounds' to be played, you may want to arrange your memory into sections. This means your microcontroller just has to point to the start address of a sound, and read the memory for however many bytes it is.

whoa, I believe that atmega88 is way too expensive? :(
I really need a cheap one.

btw, our project, color sensor, must display a voltage on a 7-segment display on a corresponding color, we are going to sense a 10 color, so output must be 0-9 in deci, so we are going to use 4 bits for the input in a decoder (74ls47) then its output will be directed to the input of 7-segment display. e.g. red, 0111, 7 (red is the color that is sensed, 0111 is the corresponding binary bit data, 7 is the display in the 7-segment).

my question is, can I set my binary data as the input in the EEPROM?

btw, our project, color sensor, must display a voltage on a 7-segment display on a corresponding color, we are going to sense a 10 color, so output must be 0-9 in deci, so we are going to use 4 bits for the input in a decoder (74ls47) then its output will be directed to the input of 7-segment display. e.g. red, 0111, 7 (red is the color that is sensed, 0111 is the corresponding binary bit data, 7 is the display in the 7-segment).

my question is, can I set my binary data as the input in the EEPROM?

No, you need a processor to control it, and a processor could do your entire project anyway.

You could always look at the Winbond analogue recording chip?

No, you need a processor to control it, and a processor could do your entire project anyway.

You could always look at the Winbond analogue recording chip?

Sorry for being newbie, there are a lot of things I didn't understand here, in fact it's my first time to see this chip, haven't use a chip, because it's not the requirement of our prof.
Our design is after sensing the color, we are going to convert it to digital, and that binary word must be display in 7-segment display by the use of decoder and must have a voice output.I'm really are not oriented when it comes to chips :( really needs suggestion for a beginner like me.

Sorry for being newbie, there are a lot of things I didn't understand here, in fact it's my first time to see this chip, haven't use a chip, because it's not the requirement of our prof.
Our design is after sensing the color, we are going to convert it to digital, and that binary word must be display in 7-segment display by the use of decoder and must have a voice output.I'm really are not oriented when it comes to chips :( really needs suggestion for a beginner like me.

The link I posted includes a ready made voice recorder board, as well as just the IC.
Adding a voice output seems a strange requirement, as it's considerably more complicated than the rest of the assignment.

The link I posted includes a ready made voice recorder board, as well as just the IC.
Adding a voice output seems a strange requirement, as it's considerably more complicated than the rest of the assignment.

ow, I see, circuit of the board is very complex, and it cost too much. I don't have enough money for that. =(

Apologies for bringing a microcontroller into this, I read 'colour sensor', and immediately though of those SPI colour sensors, like the one used here:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/10/axe045.pdf

That obviously requires a processor to read information from it, so I assumed you would be using one in your project anyway (which could handle all the other functions with ease).

Nigel, once again, was spot on with those analogue voice recorders, you can get away without using a microcontroller, and using simple logic chips to do the seven segment display. But how would you sense colour? perhaps an entirely analogue approach using LDR's and filters?

Btw, the cost of those voice recorder IC's will be around 4-5x the cost of a small microcontroller, but if you have no experience programming them I guess it'll just make life more difficult for you.

Apologies for bringing a microcontroller into this, I read 'colour sensor', and immediately though of those SPI colour sensors, like the one used here:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/10/axe045-1.pdf

That obviously requires a processor to read information from it, so I assumed you would be using one in your project anyway (which could handle all the other functions with ease).

Nigel, once again, was spot on with those analogue voice recorders, you can get away without using a microcontroller, and using simple logic chips to do the seven segment display. But how would you sense colour? perhaps an entirely analogue approach using LDR's and filters?

Btw, the cost of those voice recorder IC's will be around 4-5x the cost of a small microcontroller, but if you have no experience programming them I guess it'll just make life more difficult for you.

yah, exactly, this is a analogue approach, and we are going to use LDR to do that, and that ouput will be fed to an ADC, btw I have a question bout that, what do you think is the appropriate IC that I'm going to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back