Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Watt meter concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

scomi

What i know is .....
To measure watt, we usually have voltage * current.
The meter reading for the kWh of our household will be accumulated by time.
What about **broken link removed** tells you?
It only displays watt instantaneously? :(

You are confusing ENERGY with POWER. Kwh is energy. Watts is power.

Rate of use, not rate of change - that would indicate a derivative.
Power x Time = Energy
Energy/Time = Power

That wattmeter is designed for only 3.6-25V, it is not good for household voltage (110V-220V).

You can buy a watt-hour meter cheaply -
Amazon.com: P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor: Electronics

If you want to build the wattmeter project, you can modify the code to find kwh. Read the wattage every second, add the watts up, divide by 3,600 to get watt-hours, divide again by 1,000 to get kwh.

Rate of use, not rate of change - that would indicate a derivative.
Power x Time = Energy
Energy/Time = Power

That wattmeter is designed for only 3.6-25V, it is not good for household voltage (110V-220V).

You can buy a watt-hour meter cheaply -
Amazon.com: P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor: Electronics

If you want to build the wattmeter project, you can modify the code to find kwh. Read the wattage every second, add the watts up, divide by 3,600 to get watt-hours, divide again by 1,000 to get kwh.

Oh ya, the project actually reads 3 readings per second and accumulating the Ah. To get the kWh, i use Ah and multiply with the voltage.

Mainly the fact that it's AC. R15 is a "shunt resistor", and this is fine for DC circuits, but for AC it gets a little more tricky. You need to amplify the sine wave on it first, then rectify and filter it to measure it.

Also because it's connected to the mains, you are going to want to isolate it. You may want to consider using something like an HCPL-7510-000E optoisolator (designed for this kind of work) or better still use a current sensing transformer like a LEM "LTS 15-NP" or equivalent so you don't have to dick with a +5V supply on the hot side of the circuit for the opto.

AC seems a bit tricky for me.
Well ... as the project goes i just wonder, how it knows the value of current and the voltage input?
Which of the component is responsible for this? As i know port A is getting the analog input. :confused:

Microchip has a bunch of energy meter projects on their site:
**broken link removed**

AC seems a bit tricky for me.
Well ... as the project goes i just wonder, how it knows the value of current and the voltage input?
Which of the component is responsible for this?

I just told you - it's R15, the shunt resistor. Current goes through it, develops a teeny tiny voltage, the opamp multiplies it, the processor reads it. Standard way of doing it with DC. With AC you really want an inductive transducer.

Hey thanks. I think a 1ohm shunt must be wasting a lots of power there.

Anyone know how to use wire gauge to differentiate a copper wire so that i can make a shunt resistor from that?

Thanks

That's not 1 ohm, look again.

Don't make a shunt resistor - buy one. It's too difficult to predict and read the actual value, copper wire has too high of a temperature coefficient to be trusted.

That's not 1 ohm, look again.

Don't make a shunt resistor - buy one. It's too difficult to predict and read the actual value, copper wire has too high of a temperature coefficient to be trusted.

ya.... i juz manage to get myself a 1Ohm resistor. I know the schematic doesnt use this value.
but seems like shunt resistor cost a lot too if compare to my project... sigh**

What, a buck? Fifty cents? Look for a better price, there are some they want $12 for, yeah, but there are cheap ones, too.

What, a buck? Fifty cents? Look for a better price, there are some they want $12 for, yeah, but there are cheap ones, too.

oh ya, what i get is around US 25. If cheaper shunt, they require you to buy a lotsssss.... i mean a lotssss.... sigh**

ya.... i juz manage to get myself a 1Ohm resistor. I know the schematic doesnt use this value.
but seems like shunt resistor cost a lot too if compare to my project... sigh**

There is a HUGE Difference between 1 Ohm and the 0.001 Ohm Shunt that is in that Schematic. A 1 Ohm Shunt is Not at all Practical here.

There is a HUGE Difference between 1 Ohm and the 0.001 Ohm Shunt that is in that Schematic. A 1 Ohm Shunt is Not at all Practical here.

Ya i know....
but calibrating the shunt is hard as well...
even the components also cost a lots ...
any idea about this?

Ya i know....
but calibrating the shunt is hard as well...
even the components also cost a lots ...
any idea about this?

A 12 Inches piece of 10 AWG Copper Wire is Close to .001 Ohms.

Its Not quite as good as a Proper Shunt as it will have more drift with temperature, But MUCH Better than your 1 Ohm shunt for the Resistance. (AND MUCH CHEAPER.)

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back