Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Water Tank level reader and pump Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osman

Hi All,

That's my project.
I tried mechanical Control for pumps and it needs constand repair, So I am planning to a Project that can detect the water level in the Water Tank and then Stop the pump when it reach a certain level (And maybe Start again when the level drop)

I got no experiance in Electronics, But I studied Civil Eng (Brick and Mortar), So I got the basic knowledge.

All help is much appreciated!

Regards

Oze

I would think that there would be a single float switch that could accomplish this. Maybe search for that. If there isnt a single float that accomplishes this, you could always use 2 float switches. one for high level and one for low.

EDIT: I just did a quick google search and I came up with this **broken link removed**
the site is
**broken link removed**

then you just gotta figure out how to connect it porperly to your pump

Without knowing more about the problem it's hard to offer much. Is the switch failing - or is it the pump, the starter, something else?

If it's the switch - is it the contacts or the mechanism itself? If the contacts, maybe they aren't rated for the motor.

I helped a friend with a 'failure' problem. Pump capacity was excessive and the start/stop difference was way too low. The pump almost toggled back and forth and eventually overheated. Solution was to restrict the output to reduce the flow rate - and to widen the gap between on-off by adusting the slide.

Hard to beat the float switch described by jrz - simple, reliable if that's appropriate for your application.

Use a plain transistor

You could build a simple set of moisture detectors to find out the water level. Water conducts electricity, albeit poorly, but enough to be detected and amplified by a simple transistor.

Any simple NPN transistor will work, from 2N2222, 2N3904, etc.. The relay should have a 500 Ohm coil or so. This circuit will close the relay when the moisture level exceeds a level set by the 1M variable resistor.
The probes can be bare metal or wires.

You can modify this to switch on higher powered devices like the pump or use more sensors in a column with a transistor array. I personally think you'd be better off with a mechanical solution...far safer.

Hope this helped!

Attachments

• moisture_sensor.gif
    moisture_sensor.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,193
How about these circuits?

Attachments

• simple_water_sensor_2.gif
    simple_water_sensor_2.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,179
  • pump_control.gif
    pump_control.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,052
Hi everyone. Im doing a project on my second year Btec and i am going to use the simple water level sensor diagram above. But I need to know how to connect in my pumnp to start on the high level and knock off on the low level. also i will need to connect a valve to let in water on the low level and stop on the high level. Opposite to the pump really. Any and all advice will be much appreciated!!!! thanks

Did I understand well. that I could use the schematic of hotwaterwizard to allow me to fill a thank automatically using a normal float switch pump. My system is this. I have a float switch pump that stop when the water level drops below certain limit in the well. To fill the tank I have to switch it on manually since it never stops even when the tank is full. Could I use that.

3 Phase Motor Control

Friends I Want A 3 Phase Motor Controller With Two Float Switches.when High Float On Motor Should Swicht Off And When Low Float Is On The Motor Should Be On.i Found This Circuit Below But In It No Voltage Checking For 3 Phases.CAN ANYPNE MODIFY THIS CIRCUIT WITH TWO FLOAT AND VOLTAGE CHECKING

Attachments

• Cir29.gif
    Cir29.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,211
  • CESCRIPTION.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 337
If you wanted to make it simple couldnt you just add another high level float and run the circuit in parallel to both floats back to the pump!
Apologies if this has been covered,its late eh!

I am a little late here too. Something simple.

A PVC pipe vertical in the liquid, a floating material ring cut to slide up and down the pipe in the liquid with a magnet in it and use reed relay switches inside the pipe.

As the foam ring floats up and down it will short the reed to tell you the location.

simple and working solution for pump controll.

hello friends ,i have developed a simple but efficient water level monitor and pump controller for OVER HEAD TANK.it has an added feture of monitoring the water level in sump or well if needed.i developed it mainly for my home,where i need to pump water from a small tank in my basement to a large OHT(over head tank).iam using it for last 2 months without any problems.:) .i have serached for a circuit like this for weeks,but couldnt find one.so i designed it using CMOS 4001 & 4011.the pin numbers are clearly shown to make circuit idea to practical solution easier.
The input to the logic gates can be either through a float switch or signal through a pair of conducting probes (which need to be amplified using transistors).from circuit its clear that it works on S-R latch feture of logic gates.i have provided visual output for the staus monitoring(it works in a limited way though)of tanks without extra wiring.the building cost for the circuit is less than 10 usd including the mechanical relay and delay circuit(delayed turn -on) used with it(to prevent rapid switching).
i am not at all worried about water level in my OHT now.PLEASE HELP ME IN MODIFICATION OF THE CIRCUIT WITH UR IDEAS.and kindly correct the mistakes i made.iam a physician so not an authority in electronics.for suggestions and any queries u can mail me.

Attachments

• PUMP CONTROLLER.gif
    PUMP CONTROLLER.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 501
problems with the circuit

one change in the circuit.for noise immunity i have used 4093 schmidt trigger IC instead of 4011(i have only a broad idea about all these,iam not sure if its appropriate).
after 2 months of continuous use the one problem i have faced is .sometimes if you switch one and off the circuit rapidly after 3 or 4 attempts it will turn on the pump regardless of water level status.but if the water level in upper tank is at it maximum or in sump if it is below lower limit it will turn off pump immediately(anyway pump wont run dry or no overflow,it fullfill the purpose):D )
out put from logic circuit is amplified using a darlington pair to drive a 100ohm 6V relay.this raly is used to switch on a delayed turn on relay circuit which switch on the main terminal to pump.(please see the pdf attchement).
any suggestion to improve the circuit ??:confused:

Attachments

• DELAYED TURN ON RELAY.pdf
    155.3 KB · Views: 784
Lots of cases it may be necessary to reduce the voltage of the components that are in the water to 24volt or lower in the interest of safety. The 24 low voltage supply is then used to feed the coil in a contactor or relay which in turn operates the motor in the water pump. For domestic installations
a "differential " float switch is often used. Differential meaning a significant difference between the start and stop levels. so that the pump does not start and stop too often and cause excessive heat to develope.

JMcG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back