Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Water sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaeneu

I'm looking to build a simple water level detector that will de-energize a 12VDC relay when the sensors detect water. Once the water level decreases the relay must energize. I saw your water activated alarm but I would prefer to stick to transistors and avoid IC's if possible.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

That should work, haven't tested it. the first circuit might work with only one transistor I spose it depends on how wet your water is....... anyhow used a darlington pair to be on the safe side.

**broken link removed**

Dingo, you got your labels reversed. The circuit on the left turns the relay ON when the probes are wet, the one on the right turns the relay OFF when the probes are wet. You should include a 1k resistor in series with one probe lead to protect the transistor from excessive base current in case of a short, or really wet water. :D

dingo said:
That should work, haven't tested it. the first circuit might work with only one transistor I spose it depends on how wet your water is....... anyhow used a darlington pair to be on the safe side.

**broken link removed**

Thanks dingo, the second circuit worked perfectly. I'm using it to purge air out of a water system. Once again, thanks.

Michael

I have a similar setup controlling the sump pump, oddly i didnt even need darlingtons, just standard PNPs and i did need to use a base current limiting resistor. Been working for about a year now..

water level control

I'm looking to build a simple water level detector that will de-energize a 12VDC relay when the sensors detect water. Once the water level increases the relay must energize. I saw your water activated alarm but I would prefer to stick to transistors and avoid IC's if possible.

Thanks dingo, the second circuit worked perfectly. I'm using it to purge air out of a water system. Once again, thanks.

Michael

How about using an automatic air bleed valve? It's used in heating systems and works perfect.

Boncuk

I have a similar setup controlling the sump pump, oddly i didnt even need darlingtons, just standard PNPs and i did need to use a base current limiting resistor. Been working for about a year now..

Wow! Your water must be darn wet! :D

Boncuk

I'm looking to build a simple water level detector that will de-energize a 12VDC relay when the sensors detect water. Once the water level decreases the relay must energize. I saw your water activated alarm but I would prefer to stick to transistors and avoid IC's if possible.

Michael

GOD those things come from china for a $1 a pice to monitor trees moisture. $.99 cents stores got them.

The post you responded to is nearly 5 years old... :eek:

honestly I didn't check the date. How come this old post appears in a new thread?

At least it seemed to be a new one being posted on the first page.

Hans

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back