Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

water pump, power requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjh1990

hi all

For my own personal use i am looking to design a hygienic toilet cleaner, by means of water pressure. I am looking to design a free standing unit that will be powered by household batteries. The maximum height the water is required to be pumped is one meter. The flow rate of the water will be low however im intending on using a nozzle to step up the pressure.(similar to the design of a windshield washer pump set up) Due to my lack of knowledge in electricity i am struggling to figure out what type of electric motor will be suitable and what its power requirements will be. If any one could recommend or advise me on this matter i would be very grateful.

one meter up? Horizontal distance doesn't matter, vertical is critical in valuing your pump. What kind of pressure are you looking for because it's not common to find pumps designed to give high pressure that are small, and even harder to find one that will run on batteries.

Keep something in mind, pressurized water won't increase hygene much at all, you could blast a toilet with 3000PSI water at 100 gallons a minute and after you're done there's still be bacteria on it, you're more likley to simply blow whatever is on there into the air in an atomized water mist so it can spread easier.

Being toilets tend to be filled from pressurized water lines you would be better off using that to your advantage and to tap into that pressurized source for your spraying power.

For a rough referance 1 watt moves about one gallon at 2 PSI or two gallons at one PSI.

There are many types of portable lawn and garden sprayer pumps that are 12 volt powered that can pump at several tens of PSI and at few gallons a minute as well.

They have pressurized toilets in the US that use the water mains pressure to compress a bubble of air which uses only a gallon of water to forcefully flush the toilet. A properly designed nozzel can give you the pressure you want, but again, it's not going to do anything but spread bacteria around not clean anything. Something like a steam gun might be more practical, but I'd hate to be on the can if that thing accidentally went off! =)

Perhaps an RV water pump might fit your needs. But disavow yourself of running any pump for a toilet flush system on household batteries; the TDH and volume requirements rule that out.

What you might think about is the use of a demand pump (12VDC) and a small accumulator, with the pump powered by anything from a motorcycle to a car battery, which would depend on length of use between charging cycles. (This assumes the toilet is being used in a remote location void of utilities.)

If this might work for you, Google RV WATER PUMPS.

I'd recommend that you experiment to determine the pressure and volume requirements that provide the results you expect. You would then be able to select the type of pump and then you can determine the motor requirements for the pump. You might first experiment with available pressure from your domestic water system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back