Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Water level Monitor - Real time

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishtriram

I want to control the water level in the overhead tank in my house which has 2 floors.

i have the submersible type motor (1 HP motor) in the basement of my house and it is supplied from the main Electric supply to my house

I want to sense the water level in the overhead tank and display it in the basement(Progress bar type display)

If the level exceeds the max limit of the tank then the motor in the basement (ground floor) should be switched off

How to wire the connections and safety precautions would be ideal.
Please give me technical details involved in this and schematic would be great.

It Depends on How Well you want to monitor it.
A Simple detector will determine an upper limit, but if you actually want a Progressive display, Those Pressure Sensors are Quite Expensive.

Just bought one for our Towns Reservoir. $600.00

Gary

I thought a piece of wire with one end connected to the +ve supply and other connected to a LED & another wire with its one end connected to -ve and its other end at the top most level of the water level would work

if the water level reaches the level then the open circuit would basically close causing the LED to glow

I've heard of a lot of people using ultrasound to detect the distance from the top of the tank to the water. There should be a ton of ultrasound circuits on the web.

Brent

i have a sonar circuit wich is used for parking. it displays the result on a bargraph so you can watch the distance.
but how precise do you want the detection of the water level?
will a min, max and middle levels be enough?
if the tank is of metal, than you could conect it to the ground, and the ground of the circuit.
than you could build more sensors on the tank, and feed them to a simple logic buffer with pull-up resistors, than connect the leds to the output with resistors and you are done with the indication.
all you need is a motor control circuit.

bmcculla said:
I've heard of a lot of people using ultrasound to detect the distance from the top of the tank to the water.

Ultrasonic level controls are used frequently in industry for monitoring levels in tanks, flow rates in open channels (flumes, weirs), etc. They work very well in this application. JB

Another common method is a capacitive sensor.

You'd have a tube go into the liquid without touching any walls. You can use a 555 timer and freq to voltage converter. However, it is temp sensitive and some sort of compensation is helpful.

Actually, I know of its use for fuel level sensing, which is an electrical insulator. I'm not sure how (or if) it can be done with conductive water. Even if you have a floating power supply (battery) and a plastic tank, as soon as it touches the water it may act as the water is a single conductive body so it will see the capacitance of the entire thing with any contact. Or maybe they insulate the tube for this application?

Water level control

Hi,

A simple way is using a linear pot with its shaft tied to a one turn (270°) screw ( a helix ), made of a piece of rigid plastic strip going from the bottom to top of the tank. A float, with a weigth attached, and a parallel guide, will turn the pot from top to top following the water level.
The voltage obtained can be represented in a bar-graph display, and a pair of comparators will set the start and stop points for the pump motor.

A security independent float-microswitch, will assure an electrical stop in case of electronic failure.

I hope this will help you. Regards.

Do these help?

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Rain

my water lvl controller is based on conduction in water. since i'm running a pair of parallel wires, they seem to be acting as capacitors and passing all of the AC signal i'm sending to the probes. wat can i do to prevent formation of capacitor? i pray for ur help..

Last edited:
Hi silvrado,

well if your system is based on conduction it should be passing the signal well enough for it to work in a nice manner but this system is not so efficient as it depends on properties of water(varying conductivity for different conditions).A float system like the one shown above is efficient and simple unless you are ready to spend big $$ on buying fluid detectors,the problem with your system is that the signal should be large enough to go through the water and it requires a constant electrical supply being given to the water.

By the way nice first part of your name LOLZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back