Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

water level controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelam29

hi all
m designing a water level controller for a tank situated at 600m away and the height of the tank is 10mtrs .i have to detect 10 levels in the tank using simple probe method.i found this circuit **broken link removed**

will this circuit work at the distance of 600mtrs .....

do i need to amplify the transmitting and receiving signal? and if yes then how to do it? do i need to use simple transistors ?????///

please help me out
thanking you

neelam29 said:
hi all
m designing a water level controller for a tank situated at 600m away and the height of the tank is 10mtrs .i have to detect 10 levels in the tank using simple probe method.i found this circuit **broken link removed**

will this circuit work at the distance of 600mtrs .....

do i need to amplify the transmitting and receiving signal? and if yes then how to do it? do i need to use simple transistors ?????///

please help me out
thanking you

When the two probes are under water the relay contacts will close, as the water level falls the sensor will be left dry
and the relay contacts will open.

It will only detect the water level at one height/point.

As its a relay contact closure, if have say, 12Vdc or 24Vdc at the end of the 600mtr cable run,
you should be able to detect the relay contacts open/closed.

EDIT: As its a very long cable run, I would advise some type of electrical 'spike' protection at the remote end of the cable.

Does this help?

Last edited:
You are going to actually run 600 mtrs of wire? I'd use an RF transmitter/receiver instead. The cost of the wire and the labor to bury/protect it will be very significant.

There have been lots of discussions of depth sensing in this forum. I suggest you search for them.

If you decide to use contact sensors, make sure you use something like stainless steel to avoid corrosion.

Personally, I would either use ultrasonic or capacitive sensing. those are well discussed in the above threads I mentioned. The link you gave says not to use capacitive but I've found it to work pretty well and it gives continuous depth readings.

Eh Neelam,
You might want to check a project siliconchip did a few months ago on a watertank level monitor. With a lm3914 and few resistors etc its a simple yet effective way to monitor the tank. Now for the 600 metre run just go wireless and use a 16f pic for the brains each end. I like the idea so much onday I'll get around to making it as I'm getting sick of walking up hills to check tanks.

Cheers Bryan

water level controler

Waterline controls has a controller that will operate at distances of greater than 600 meters. It uses a microprocessor controled sensor and determines the water level as it rises and falls. Our current model senses 6 different levels and provides an output that can then be used to drive motors, solenoids or contactors; outputs are also provided for computer monitoring or recording. A 10 probe model can easily be designed or two of the 6 probe models can be used together. There is a built in surge arrestor on each probe. Visit WaterLine Controls for detals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back