Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Was I being over cautious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
I've been repairing a power amplifier. It has 24 large electrolytic capacitors, rated at 50 V and 15000 µF each, that run at about 48 V normally. It is 20 years old, and has been repaired in the past. I think that one short, that has been repaired, had caused one pair of capacitors to be damaged, as that pair was slightly bulged, but I have no idea how long they have been like that.

Anyhow, I bought a pair of new capacitors. I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't get a larger voltage in that size after another 20 years of development. The new capacitors are about 8 grams heavier (68 as opposed to 60) so I guessed that the old ones had gassed and dried out.

I measured the capacitance by charging them at 5 mA and timing how long it took to get to 40 V. I was surprised to find that the capacitance is still 15000 µF, same as the new ones.

Should I have saved my money and kept the old ones?

They might still have their rated capacity in microfarads, but their ESR value has probably gone trough the roof. You'd need a ESR meter to test that tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back