Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wanting to assemble: Desktop CLOCK ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
An exact description of what it is you want to do would be a good start.

JimB

JimB ;

I thank you for the response!

The blatant lack of details; due to my COMPLETE lack of knowledge on the subject.
The initial goal, is; to assemble a desktop digital CLOCK ... finally, an Electronic WRIST-WATCH.
I intend to achieve this by approaching it in SMALL Steps ...

. 1] Gather info ... (Know any good, FREE reference books?)
. 2] Assemble a POWER SOURCE,(Battery;which I have) &LEDsingle digit, light post.(Your suggestions are requested!)
. 3] (Requirements, better appraised at that time.)

At any time; your Tips & Suggestions are welcome ...

OK, I think I get the idea.

The wrist watch idea may be a bit of a non-starter, but a table top clock is easily do-able.

Two ways come to mind:

1 using a micro processor or micro controller

2 using discrete logic, typically 74 series logic chips.

A quick googling session found this -
https://hackaday.com/2010/03/16/pure-ttl-based-clock/

Or on this site, have a look at this:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/ttl-clock-with-7447-7490-and-7400-ics.25628/

Are these, the sort of things you are looking for?

JimB

You might want to check out some of the digital clock kits available for purchase, these will give you some experience in constructing and a good learning process while also giving a good chance of success that the finished clock will work. The kits are not expensive (try a google search) and may be a good place to start. :)

JimB;

A micro processor/controller I assume geneates an impulse, (timed) ??

The discrete logic chips; I have never heard-of before. Perhaps you could describe it's purpose ...

I downloaded 'ExpressPCB' Free circut layout CAD prgm. (Where to begin ...?)

Thank you for the references; I'll get to them now ...

A few quick and dirty answers before I go for a bath (I think I stink!)

A microprocessor can do whatever (within reason) you want it to do.
Write some software code to implement a digital clock, connect some kind of a display and voila you have a clock.

Discrete logic chips.
Chip = Integrated Circuit.
Integrated circuit = a device containing lots of transistors and stuff in a small plastic (usually) package with 4, or 8 or 14 or 16 etc "legs" which are the electrical connections.
There are many many types of integrated circuit each of which implements some individual function - amplifier, inverter, AND gate OR gate, counter, shift register, etc, etc.

Bath time!

JimB

JimB;

Are the 'Fred Flinstone' era devices, like Capasitor, still in use? From what
I understand, Current flows IN, for a set time; then it discharges. (Timing mech)

Otherwise, a microprocessor seems worthy ?
---
I visited your 1st ref. ... the 'simple' diagram - was overwhelming!

Last edited:
Let me first ask the question: what do you want to learn or experience through this activity?

If you just want to build your own, then a kit would work.

If you want to learn all the steps of concept design, circuit engineering and troubleshooting, PCB layout, coding of the uController, etc, then that is a different path. One with many branches and a high potential of hair loss, lol.

Last edited:
ABI

Yes, stone age components like the capacitor and the resistor are alive and well, and will keep on going as long as electronics does.
Capacitors store electric charge.
Current flows in to them, and current can flow out of them.
How much and how quickly it flows depends on the rest of the circuit.

Simple diagram - overwhelming ?
Well, sad to say but that is what is in a digital clock.

If you make one using a microcontroller, the wiring complexity is converted into software programming complexity.

JimB

ChrsP58;

I want to learn what you described as 'circuit design'.

The poetential 'loss of hair' will be nothing new.

I'm 'leaning' towards a basc 'Dummy' ser ies book, to get started. Any recccomendations?

JimB;

Sadly, your comment about 'Simple diagram ...', I was afraid of that.

Where can I read info on the 'programming complexity' of a microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back