Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wanting someone to build me a railroad signal controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichogger

Hello all, I work for the railroad and I collect and restore railroad signals. I am wanting a way to get them to change colors automatically. If you go to this site, an example of my signal and what I would like it to do are at the bottom except the top light needs to light up as well.

RR SIGNAL PIX . COM

I figure I'd need six outputs, one each for the greens, yellows, reds and lunars then two other outputs for the top and bottom clears that are independent of the four main color aspects. I ideally would like to have a manual pushbutton advance also. Time on each color would be less than 15 seconds, or variable would be even better. These signals run on 12v either ac or dc, I prefer dc. I am not opposed to driving relays off the board and then powering the signal lamps. Also the top marker light and bottom marker light are never on at the same time.

If anyone is willing to make something like this for me, let me know and what you'll charge, and we can talk specifics. I'd love to do it myself but work keeps me very busy.

Thank you,

Chuck Grigsby

Hi Chuck:

Did a gantry crane for a model railroad many years ago.

Lets's ask a few questions:

1. What lamp(s) are used?
2. Where is the 12 V coming from?
3. What if time was 0-16 secs, adjustible by dip switch?
4. Where would the controller be located?
5. Is a wireless controller (120 VAC or 12 V powered) a possibility?
6. Are you looking for:
a) ON/OFF switch
b) Auto/manual switch
c) Manual advance PB
d) DIP switch or rotary DIP switch for time?
d1) or infinitely adjustable?

and most importantly:
Where would the controller go?
Where would the controls go?
Distance between controls and controller?
Environment?
How many?

Can one assume for the top and bottom lights thatwhen the top is on the bottom is off?
it seems to be synced witht he RED bulb(s)?

Last edited:
Well guys and gals, some sent me a pm and I think he's gonna fix me up. I appreciate your replies though. I'm gonna have just 12vdc outputs to drive my own railroad relays, they are massive hunks but I'm trying to use as many real railroad components as possible. I have another project that I may turn to the group for in the near future as soon as I figure out what kind of voltage requirements I have.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back