Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wanted: Compact Gearbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MathGeek

I desperately need compact (and affordable) gear boxes to build a 4-legged walker.

size should be 1.5 in x 1.5in MAX. (or something close)

I guess I could use servos, but due to my budget, I simply cannot get 8~12 servos. (The cost adds up quickly).

Is there any way to obtain cheap, small gear boxes?

I am not looking for high quality, metal, gear boxes, but just some plastic ones.

I have heard of gearboxes modified from Oven Timer Unit (OTU), but I can't get hold of OTU's.....

Is there a way to build gear boxes....?

Have you tried an electronics hobby shop in your area? Perhaps they even have a catalogue where you can order on the net. Here in Australia they have small DC motors with attachable gear boxes advertised. Several types of gearboxes are available, eg. spur gear, planetary gear and worm gear. They have small low torque plastic parts and are inexpensive.
Klaus

MathGeek said:
I desperately need compact (and affordable) gear boxes to build a 4-legged walker.

I guess I could use servos, but due to my budget, I simply cannot get 8~12 servos. (The cost adds up quickly).

I am not looking for high quality, metal, gear boxes, but just some plastic ones.

I have heard of gearboxes modified from Oven Timer Unit (OTU), but I can't get hold of OTU's.....

Hm...I found some gear boxes at stores (not really cheap)

Just one question.

One gear box says it is "29 RPM"

Does that mean its max rpm is 29?

MathGeek said:
Hm...I found some gear boxes at stores (not really cheap)

Just one question.

One gear box says it is "29 RPM"

Does that mean its max rpm is 29?

I doubt that, there should be also an input speed which gives the 29RPM.
Ususlly gearboxes have a ratio given, like 100:1 or whatever.

The price range of these kit gearboxes here is from $AUS15.- for a simple worm gear to $AUS30.- for a planetary box, including the motor. These are a 'TAMIYA' brand.

While scavaenged gearboxes and motors often cost you nothing, you are then faced with making small couplings to join them. Easy if you have a hobbyists lathe, tricky or expensive otherwise. You also need some metal bashing skills to mount these as odd scavenged items rarely bolt straight together.
Klaus

Look for spur gears

For a different reason I've searched, few days ago for "spur gears" and Google vomited tons of data. They looked expensive, but... :?:

MathGeek said:

Hi,
What about buying a cheap plastic tanks (kit). The motorized ones comes with a complete 2 motor gearbox setup.

TOK ;)

Re: I have 12 servos

Sputnik said:
I have 10 identical GWS MINI servos I will sell you very cheap or trade for ?

Only a few of them have actually been used, but not very much.

They are a bit smaller than what you need, should do fine.

Heres a link to the on GWS site

http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/servo/mini.htm

Hiya Sputnik,
Eh mate I'm interested in those mini servos so send me a P.M. if your interested in selling them

Cheers Bryan :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back