Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to use 12v power supply please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlEastmanlx

Ok so I have an indoor grow room setup in my closet for assorted small fruits & veggies and I have encountered 2 serious problems: 1. Temperature. My temperature should stay between 80-88 degrees, but it's pushing 100. 2. Fungus gnats. Fungus gnats can be controlled by lowering the temperature. Now I know this is an electronics forum, so this is where this site becomes relevant. In order to get the temperatures under control, I bought two 3v desk fans from Walmart. Of course, they do not sell the power supply designed for it, and the only power supply I DO have that fits it is a 12v supply. So...my question to ETO is: Can I simply buy 2 more 3v fans and wire them all together to the 12v supply, or will I still have to worry about motors frying and/or catching my house on fire? I know I said I didn't know ALOT about electronics but I do know how to at least wire things together. I have soldered an absurd amount of guitar electronics as well as video game consoles & controllers. I just don't know how to build anything from scratch. PLEASE any help will be greatly appreciated and my plants will LOVE you all for your assistance.

There are a number of ways to do it. One is to use a LM317 regulator set to 3V. But the simplest way that comes to mind for me is to use PC case fans instead, as they run at 12V and are more durable than those little Walmart desk fans.

I have looked at prices of those fans & I cant really afford to buy enough of them to be able to cool my system off fast enough, and these desk fans are actually pretty damn powerful lol...I was just wondering if i wired four 3v fans together, would the power be split between them equally, since the fan has to pull 3v just to power on, I figured once I have 4 of them running, each pulling 3v from the 12v supply, that would equal 12v total. Is that possible?

Fans are pretty forgiving. I would have no reservation placing 4 EA. 3 volt fans in series. Downside is if one fails open circuit, they all stop.

Ron

Ok so I have an indoor grow room setup in my closet for assorted small fruits & veggies and I have encountered 2 serious problems:

You may have a third problem, if a house fire starts and they find the weeds growing between your fruits and veggies ;)

It's amazing how many unoccupied tract-home-castles have be raided for illegal indoor gardens. Of course, in Minnesota you're sort of limited by the winter to indoors. ;)

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back