Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to make my own web. Help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayne

Many people are runing their own website and sharing their projects on that webs.
I also want to make my own web for sharing my projects, any free webserver which u prefer???

I have 2 websites. Both are hosted with www.holhost.com Cheap and so far seems pretty good on uptime. I just use notepad to write the html.

Ayne said:
I also want to make my own web for sharing my projects, any free webserver which u prefer???

my project website is run on wordpress, and it's super easy to manage.

Depends quite heavily on what you want out of it. If you don't want to have to do much web design, a blog (like at wordpress) can be a great solution, especially a free one - I think JustDIY's blog looks great!

If you want more flexibility, and don't mind doing some more work, a traditional web host is a better bet. Here, you have a ton of options - bandwidth, storage space, features, price, etc. Personally, if you're like me and have a small website that doesn't get a ton of traffic, the discount flat-yearly-rate plans that some web hosts offer can save you a lot of money.

My website is hosted at https://www.asmallorange.com which is a company with a good reputation, and their service has been great. I have the 'tiny' plan which is $25 a year, for 75MB space and 3GB/month of bandwidth - I can't go sharing huge files on it, but I've never run out of bandwidth from my normal website traffic. Bear in mind you probably also want a domain name, those are typically about $7-10 a year. They have a full suite of web configuration tools to manage your website easily, and you can even automatically install popular website software like blogs, content management systems, forums, shopping cart systems, etc - all with just a few mouse clicks. I use Joomla! CMS for my site, as it saves me from having to write any HTML or do any real design work (hey, I'm an engineer, not a web designer) - I can just type in articles and the software takes care of all the formatting and other 'dirty work'.

Last edited:
just to clarify ... my site is running "Wordpress" as a CMS, but is not hosted by Wordpress the company.

I too have a shared hosting provider and enjoy the flexibility it provides... At one point in time I had three separate hosting accounts with different vendors - one of which kept losing my files. After the last crash, I sent in my cancellation request.

Whatever solution you go with, make it a high priority to learn how to do backups - and do them regularly! Which reminds me...

Or you could have your own server... You would need a static ip (or use no-ip, but that sucks), server software, a server, a registered domain, and a few other odds and ends.

Marks256 said:
Or you could have your own server... You would need a static ip (or use no-ip, but that sucks), server software, a server, a registered domain, and a few other odds and ends.

That sounds like alotta work.....

Marks256 said:
No, it sounds fun! :D
Time NOT spent messing with a web server is more time to spend on electronics projects. Much like time not spent browsing the forums... oh wait, this conversation is beginning to sound familiar ;)

What is wrong with staying up until 2:30 in the morning trying to figure out why a server doesn't work? :rolleyes:

you don't need a static IP if your domain is hosted with a modern hosting provider that supports some form of dynamic update.

both my office and home networks are connected to the 'net with dynamic IPs, but my dns provider (www.easydns.ca) supports dynamic update, so a script run on my firewall updates the IP if it ever changes. Luckily my IP hasn't changed in years.

There are at least two pissers about hosting your own website. A) At least in the United States, broadband connections are impotent, offering exaggerated download speeds and next to nothing on the upload. B) Many ISPs block all the good ports, leaving you to run a website and other services on non-standard ports.

With a thousand different providers offering hosting for under $100 a year, and many completely free, there's no real good reasons to host your own.

there's no real good reasons to host your own.

I must disagree. There is always the thrill. You can never go wrong with learning something new.

I just installed wordpress on my server. The "5 min install" took more like an hour.... but it looks pretty cool! Thanks for telling us about it DIY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back