Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

want to increase only ampere

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamun2a

i want to increase only ampere from the supplied volt 6 v dc or else. what the simplest coil or circuite i can use?

Still makes no sense - I said tell us EXACTLY what you're trying to do, all those numbers do is show something impossible!. What is your source, why is it's current what it is, and what is your load!.

hi,

If its a power supply that has been bought from a supplier, the mains transformer and the regulator will be most likely be operating at close
to the maximum rating when supplying 6v at 2amps.

The reason is that most manufacturers build units that meet the rated specification for the lowest cost. They don't build in 'extra' performance.

So if it 'shop bought' then you need to buy a new psu to meet the new requirement.

EricG

no matter of registance, it is used to light up halogen bulb on bike

It's a matter of impedance... What is the DC resistance of the terminals of the halogen bulb and it's required operating current? You can't just snap your fingers and up current, voltage has to go down.

mamun2a said:
no matter of registance, it is used to light up halogen bulb on bike

You're still making no sense, and not telling us what you're trying to do!.

Presumably you've got a bike (push bike?, motor bike?), and you want to power a headlight bulb? - what from?, a battery?, an alternator?.

Why doesn't it have a light already?.

nigel
thanx for correcting me.
but i guess u know about my bike, yamaha 80,
6 vdc, wanna light up the headlight from alternator

If you want a bigger bulb than it's designed for, you would have to fit a larger alternator, or rewind the existing one - you can't magically increase the amount of power it provides, it's also designed to limit as well, so it doesn't blow the bulb at high revs.

Rewinding the existing one probably isn't an option. There probably isn't enough room to use the same number of turns of thicker wire and even if there was the leakage inductance is likely to increase to such a point that the voltage drops at higher loads and core saturation could also be a limiting factor.

The only real solution is to buy a larger alternator or use a lower powered bulb.

Hero999 said:
Rewinding the existing one probably isn't an option. There probably isn't enough room to use the same number of turns of thicker wire and even if there was the leakage inductance is likely to increase to such a point that the voltage drops at higher loads and core saturation could also be a limiting factor.

There was a post earlier on these forums from a guy who had done it, personally it's not something I've ever had the urge to try. I used to have a Yamaha DT400 trail bike, and that had really crap lights - I often thought of ways to try and improve them, but never really came up with a decent idea :(

I would suspect that the best thing to do is:

1) Convert all the electrics to 12V.
2) Replace the tiny 6V battery with a larger 12V one.
3) Rewind, or replace, the alternator coils with ones to give 12V and a higher current output.
4) Design and fit a charging circuit to avoid over charging.
5) Rewire the headlight so it's powered from the battery, rather than directly from the alternator coil.

Essentially all you're doing is upgrading the electrics to a 'real' system, like larger road bikes have.

The main sticking point though is modifying the alternator coils!.

funny.
if the job is too much difficult then how a 220 v ac is use for electric welding wt only a transformer?

I guess there must be something to do may be with transformer or induction coil like that.

If you could just state the DC resistance of the bulb you're going to use it'd be a start.
Also, don't bike alternators only produce voltage when they're above a certain RPM level? Idling a lot like in city traffic it will draw it's power from the battery as the alternator is effectivly doing nothing when the engine is idle because the RPM's are too low.

mamun2a said:
funny.
if the job is too much difficult then how a 220 v ac is use for electric welding wt only a transformer?

Because you've got the power to start with - you INCREASE the current by DECREASING the voltage, the power actually remains the same. You could double your current, but the voltage would half!.

Imagine you've got a 1 gallon bucket full of water, and you need two gallons of water from it - doesn't work does it? - that's EXACTLY what you're trying to do. What you need to do is make the bucket larger!.

Remember power = volts times amps and you cant create power from nothing.

Suppose your welding transformer is 90% efficient, and outputs 50V at 50A, that's 2.5kW and given the 10% power loss it will take 2.75kW, or [latex]\frac{2750}{220}=12.5A[/latex] from the mains.

mamun2a said:
nigel
thanx for correcting me.
but i guess u know about my bike, yamaha 80,
6 vdc, wanna light up the headlight from alternator

Maybe this would work?
**broken link removed**

What's maximum current that can output?

Have you worked out the power?

It's probably worst than your existing alternator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back